Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dealing w/ the smell of SP

Dealing w/ the smell of SP

I was wondering how do others with SP's manage the smelliness of it. When I first got the SP I was excited. I was like wowwww, no IC's and I'm free to drink all I want......but now I'm regretting this decision. The bags smell in one day, the catheter even smells. I hate having a bag of pee on me everywhere I go, and because I can't take antibiotics just for smelly pee(for fear of creating a superbug),I am stuck being stinky all the time. It's very frustrating and I want the mitrofanoff and bladder aug but I don't know if medicare will cover it. My bladder has shrunk so I can't just take the SP out. Soooo, does anybody else have this problem with odor and if so, how do you manage it?

Hi Buffie,
    Had the same issue till i read on cure care about cream of tartar. I have a teaspoon full mixed with water each day before work. Been perfect ever since. I'm not sure if it would work for all as i thin it depends on if you are acidic or alkaline to begin with but sure worked for me.

Decided to search for old posts after the fact and found quite a few, Thanks scurl for your reponse though.
    I guess I should have searched first. Sorry.

Buffie, would you mind summarizing what your search turned up?
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Buffie,I use to have this same issue.You could smell it all the way through my clothes it was so strong.Even though they say it doesn't really help,I haven't had that issue since I started take Cranberry & Vitamin C each day.I truley think it's the acidity in the VitC that controls the odor.By three weeks though,it has to be changed because it starts getting funky again.

Quote Originally Posted by thehipcrip View Post
    Buffie, would you mind summarizing what your search turned up?

I found a lot of old posts about smelly urine. I didn't really find a lot of solutions though. I did see some suggestions that making the urine more acidic might help so I decided I'd try the cream of tartar remedy, if that doesn't work then I'll try the cranberry pills and vitamin c.

Quote Originally Posted by quad79 View Post
    Buffie,I use to have this same issue.You could smell it all the way through my clothes it was so strong.Even though they say it doesn't really help,I haven't had that issue since I started take Cranberry & Vitamin C each day.I truley think it's the acidity in the VitC that controls the odor.By three weeks though,it has to be changed because it starts getting funky again.

You can smell me the minute you enter my room. My daughter told me last night that she was tired of me making the house stink. It is awful. I don't want to go out because of it right now.

Please post what you found to work.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

Buffie, just a few thoughts about the odor issue.

How much water do you drink every day?

I've found that drinking enough water to keep my urine very diluted -- so that there's barely any color to it at all -- pretty much eliminates the smell. The contrary is, of course, true -- the darker in color your urine is, the stronger and funkier the smell.

How are you cleaning your bags, and how often do you clean and change the bags, extension tubes, etc.?

How do you treat any urine accidents on bedding, clothing, etc.?
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

There are many remedys that I know of. Try washing it with diluted vinegar an water. Maybe put some diluted or pure hydrogen peroxide in the bag from time to time. Diluted bleach helps but be careful about getting it on your skin and clothes.
    You might try a crushed up aspirin in the bag.
    I currently use M-9 but I now have a urostomy. It works pretty good but I still rinse the bag with pure bleach at least once a week.
    Maybe one of these might work for you.

Dave
    Last edited by reedyd; 09-14-2009 at 11:56 AM.