Thread: May I create a community user for a game?

Blog Entries

May I create a community user for a game?

I don't want to muck anything up, but may I do the following? If so can someone tell me how to create a user? Pinky?

Balderdash game
    I'm hoping people might be interested in doing this, so this is what I propose
    1. I'll create a user named "balderdash moderator" and the password will be "games."
    2. Whoever wants to start a game signs on as “balderdash moderator,” gives the word and part of speech, and specifies deadlines for submitting entries and for casting votes.
    3. The moderator uses a card from the game itself or just picks an obscure word from the dictionary.
    4. Within the timeframe for entries, members make an entry of what they think the word might mean (no looking it up -- more fun to guess or just have fun thinking what it sounds like it should mean), and somewhere subtly in the middle the moderator, signed on as him or herself, makes an entry with the correct definition.
    5. During each voting session, users sign back in and declare their vote, by username
    6. At the end of each voting session, the moderator declares the true definition of the word, and winners are those who either selected the correct definition or had the most people picks their definition.

I would be hesitant to allow a community user with a public password because spammers could use it. (There is the occasional human spammer.)

Let me try to think of other options.

Pinky
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Blog Entries
    I don't know anything about the risk, how things work, but Pinky, wouldn't such a spammer be easily spotted if doing other than playing the game?

And how are your semicolons? Foolish warned me about you.

They would, but they could also change the password and lock the account. It may be worthwhile to set up a group for balderdash, unless I can think of a better option.

I have tried semicolons before, but I never inhaled.

Seriously, I know their intended purpose and grammatical function, but rarely use them outside of lists whose individual elements include a comma.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    I don't know anything about the risk, how things work, but Pinky, wouldn't such a spammer be easily spotted if doing other than playing the game?

And how are your semicolons? Foolish warned me about you.
    Randy,

It would be best to implement a community game on another site. The mission of CareCure is to provide information to the spinal cord injury community and other interested people. We are very happy to be a community site as well but I think that what you propose is best done on other sites that aim at social networking and games, such as Facebook.

By the way, I am hoping that we can soon initiate the CareCure Wiki, where we will provide the tools for the community to write, edit, and store information that is of interest to the community. This will be the first community encyclopedia by and for people and families with spinal cord injury and related conditions.

Wise.

Blog Entries
    Sorry Wise. May I ask if your concern is just frivolity in general or particularly, this case’s complications of a community user and high space consumption for just frivolity? I ask because I fear I may be too frivolous in many of my posts. I often use the life forum for just random reflections and fun. Would you rather that stuff be on some other site entirely, or only in the member forums? For example, my next little boredom killer/conversation starter was going to be the below (feeble so far, but promising I think for others to share with us some generational or cultural revelations).* Would you prefer that in a members forum, or just not at all on this site?

(Of course, if you could get the Governor to intervene and make them let me go back to work from home, I won't have time to cook up all this stuff. So you could present it as a public service intervention).

Steven, if you think you or anyone might be interested in this (edited to clarify that by 'this' I still meant Balderdash) , would you PM me your thoughts about which site would be best for us to create anonymous users and some kind of group for CC members?
    ----------------------------------------------
    * Attempt at a game: Free association

Pick a word from the previous post and ramble connections. I’ll start with Robin:

--The reason it seems most ridiculous that I’m afraid of birds.

--The leading man in the Carly Simon tune I remember hearing on poignant cloudy days walking around in my danskins and romper stompers on the rya rug in front of the picture window on Maple Ave. My parents let me take that rug to college, where my beloved roommate first revealed her clutzy-with-beverages ways.

--My sibling’s first girlfriend.

--What it seemed someone called Timaru, made me wonder.

--A reminder of my sports illiteracy
    Last edited by Random; 09-20-2009 at 09:04 AM.