Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Tire question; alternative to Marathon Plus?

Tire question; alternative to Marathon Plus?

Hi! I've been looking for new tires for my chair and have heard loads of good words about the Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires. I've also heards the RightRun tires are great but I live in Portland oregon where it rains at least 8 months a year and am needing something with better tread. The Marathons are looking like my option-- the pucture protection is really desirable also because using regular pneumatic tires-- I've had on average 2 flats a year for the past 7 years. Would there be any lighter alternatives or will I be good with with the Marathon pluses and inflate them to the full 145psi?

Well, if you are looking for an air tire with puncture protection don`t look more, Marathons are your choise.
    Another alternative that you`ve got are the Schwalbe Donw Town, they have the same puncture protection than Right Runs, but this protection is not as good as Marathons even if they are 80 grames lighter than Marathons, but you`ve got them only in 24".
    I can`t tell you nothing about other tires because i always have Right Runs tires, and only a puncture in three years, now i ordered Marathon Evo for make a change because i was a bit tired of Right Runs, but i`m not sure if i do the correct, because in the surth of Spain don`t rain so much, and Right Runs with 145 psi roll very very well.
    But there`s something sure, Schwalbe are very good tires.
    Schwalbe have got the Marathon Winter for bikes, and they told me that they are thinking to make them for wheelchairs too, maybe we`ve got them in 2011. They are going to be a good option for snowing winters.

Marathon or Down town are going to be a good option.

Hey Sam, I live in Washington State and understand your need for rain proof tires. Ihad a pair of Marathons on for a period of two days and took them off as the seemed too heavy and were hard on the hands. I like either the Panaracers or the rightruns, which I use now. I like the less treaded tires in tht they don't bring in a lot of mud and debris in the house.

The Marathons may be more flat resistant but the cost for tht is a harder riding tire and much heavier. the rightruns seem to be the best for me so far in my 36 yr pushing.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Hey Sam, I live in Washington State and understand your need for rain proof tires. Ihad a pair of Marathons on for a period of two days and took them off as the seemed too heavy and were hard on the hands. I like either the Panaracers or the rightruns, which I use now. I like the less treaded tires in tht they don't bring in a lot of mud and debris in the house.

The Marathons may be more flat resistant but the cost for tht is a harder riding tire and much heavier. the rightruns seem to be the best for me so far in my 36 yr pushing.
    Interesting... Thank you. It rains quite a bit up here in the north west-- the tread isn't an issue? That would be good not to track much dirt inside... Would it be possible for you to post a few pictures of what they look like both on the chair and what the tread looks like so I can get a better idea? Can't find any online.

You`ve got them in differents colours.

Thanks ToTO for posting the Rightruns. You da man! They are a great tire.

Thank you! Right runs sound like my choice. I'm getting a new chair soon and want as light and stylish as possible. (I'm ready to loose the wire-spoke bicycle style wheels with plain tires.) I'm thinking either RoundBetty Enzo wheels or RoundBetty Dino wheels when they come out. Can't decide. Uni-tine Frog legs caster forks with aluminum front wheels maybe also. Anyone have any suggestions?

Froglegs softroll casters, they are the best for outdoors.

I'm curious, where do you all buy your tires? I've been buying mine from different sources for 20+ years now, and am always looking for a new, good online dealer for wc tires.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    Froglegs softroll casters, they are the best for outdoors.
    Those are the exact ones I was aiming for... Thank you for the picture!