Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells and lithium question

umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells and lithium question

Dr Wise,

I have a question on the umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells (UCBMC) and lithium in clinical trial. Please correct me if I am wrong but I believe I have read that in the trail UCBMC will be injected before and after the injury site.

My question is how close to the injury site do the injections need to take place? The reason I am asking is because in my case, and probably many others, the injury site will not be easy reached due to “hardware” and/or bone fusion. As an example I have rods the length of my spine and my ribs are graphed as sort of make shift vertebrae for stabilization. I had a bone scan and it appears that there are a few inches of dense bone surrounding the injury, making the site difficult to reach. From your knowledge of UCBMC do you suppose the cell can be injected approximately an inch or two away from the site, will they travel?

Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple Z View Post
    Dr Wise,

I have a question on the umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells (UCBMC) and lithium in clinical trial. Please correct me if I am wrong but I believe I have read that in the trail UCBMC will be injected before and after the injury site.

My question is how close to the injury site do the injections need to take place? The reason I am asking is because in my case, and probably many others, the injury site will not be easy reached due to “hardware” and/or bone fusion. As an example I have rods the length of my spine and my ribs are graphed as sort of make shift vertebrae for stabilization. I had a bone scan and it appears that there are a few inches of dense bone surrounding the injury, making the site difficult to reach. From your knowledge of UCBMC do you suppose the cell can be injected approximately an inch or two away from the site, will they travel?

Thank you in advance.
    Triple,

The injections will be made *above* and *below* the injury site, at the injury edge as defined by MRI scans. Mini-laminectomies will be done to expose the spinal cord at these sites and the dura will be opened so that the injections can be made under direct visual control. When transplanted into the spinal cord, the cells tend to stay close to the injection and, if they migrate, it is usually towards the injury site.

We are considering excluding subjects whose lesions extend more than three spinal vertebral segments. The surgeon will have the perogative to turning down subjects that he/she considers to be difficult or dangerous to expose the spinal cord. Also, if the hardware does not allow good MRI's to be obtained, this would also be an exclusion criteria.

Please note that this is for the trial only and does not reflect on how the treatment will be ultimately applied in clinical practice.

Wise.

Stem cells to be used for treating chronic spinal injury

Stem cells to be used for treating chronic spinal injury
    Submitted by Carina Rose on Sat, 08/29/2009 - 05:11.

The use of stem cells to treat range of diseases is increasing day by day. Now scientists are going to test use of stem cells in treating chronic spinal injuries. Stem cells can be acquired from various sources like bone marrow, umbilical cord blood and fetus, but in the recent study research team is going to use stem cells from umbilical cord blood.

read....

http://www.topnews.in/stem-cells-be-...injury-2207910

The injections will be made *above* and *below* the injury site?
    well that rules me out for the treatment so is no work going to be done on a c2 regarding injections as I am now awaiting my MRI and have waited since may might I add just to see my nuero surgeon to have another 6 wks wait for my MRI scan to see if they can operate again but it doesnt look good over time my bones will disintergrate to dust so I guess Im one of the long suffering for a lot longer then

Wise, don't you think it will be a major hurdle for the FDA to approve the surgery to inject the cells?
    Donnie: Dr. Xiao, What are your thoughts on a cure/combination therapy for SCI's??
    CG Xiao: Donnie, I don't want to disappoint you, but I think it is impossible to restore the continuity of the cord or "bridge the gap" in the near future, let's say: 50 years. Dr Wise Young has been my most respected scientist in SCI. He has dedicated and contributed to SCI no other can match.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    Wise, don't you think it will be a major hurdle for the FDA to approve the surgery to inject the cells?
    I hope not. We are using HLA-matched umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells that are minimally manipulated (no expansion, no growth factor and simply isolated by a standard Ficoll gradient) and have been given to many thousands of people over the past two decades. We are proposing to do an initial phase II study where we are planning to do escalating dose comparisons of 4, 8, and 16 µliter injections into the spinal cord. The FDA has approved clinical trials injecting macrophages into the spinal cord of people with subacute spinal cord injury, injecting 10 µliters of cells above and below the injury site. One of our treatment groups involve giving 30 mg/kg of methylprednisolone, which has been given for many years to acute spinal cord injury since 1990. Another one of our groups involves giving a 6-week period of oral lithium which millions of people are taking around the world and we have found to be safe in phase I and II clinical trials in China.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by mags85 View Post
    The injections will be made *above* and *below* the injury site?
    well that rules me out for the treatment so is no work going to be done on a c2 regarding injections as I am now awaiting my MRI and have waited since may might I add just to see my nuero surgeon to have another 6 wks wait for my MRI scan to see if they can operate again but it doesnt look good over time my bones will disintergrate to dust so I guess Im one of the long suffering for a lot longer then
    mags85,

I have commented else where that the trial will be restricted to people with C5 through T10 injuries. I have also said that we are considering developing a clinical trial separately for people with C1-C4 injuries, after the main trial shows that the treatment is effective.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Triple,

The injections will be made *above* and *below* the injury site, at the injury edge as defined by MRI scans. Mini-laminectomies will be done to expose the spinal cord at these sites and the dura will be opened so that the injections can be made under direct visual control. When transplanted into the spinal cord, the cells tend to stay close to the injection and, if they migrate, it is usually towards the injury site.

We are considering excluding subjects whose lesions extend more than three spinal vertebral segments. The surgeon will have the perogative to turning down subjects that he/she considers to be difficult or dangerous to expose the spinal cord. Also, if the hardware does not allow good MRI's to be obtained, this would also be an exclusion criteria.

Please note that this is for the trial only and does not reflect on how the treatment will be ultimately applied in clinical practice.

Wise.

Thank you for the clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    mags85,

I have commented else where that the trial will be restricted to people with C5 through T10 injuries. I have also said that we are considering developing a clinical trial separately for people with C1-C4 injuries, after the main trial shows that the treatment is effective.

Wise.
    After not if?

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    After not if?
    I think the meaning is the same whether we do it after or if it is shown to be effective. Wise.