Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stem Cell treatment for C5inc

can i get this kind of treatment in the UK

Dr wise
    can i get this treatment in the UK or only in the USA , do you know where to start or go ?
    many thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    zq, yes, I believe that there will be treatments that will restore more function for you.

From your description, you have an incomplete C5 injury with residual neurological deficits in your right hand. The therapies won't be, in my opinion, just transplants of stem cells alone but cell transplants plus other therapies that stimulate axons to grow.

Probably the first generation therapies should strengthen what you have already, including walking faster and for longer distances. By the way, electrical stimulation of the L2 spinal cord already can do this.

The second generation therapies should be transplantation of neural stem cells combined with growth stimuli and inhibitors of axonal transplant, to replace neurons in the cervical spinal cord.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by zq783 View Post
    Dr wise
    can i get this treatment in the UK or only in the USA , do you know where to start or go ?
    many thanks
    These therapies are not yet available for people in the UK or the U.S. and need to be developed.

wise.

dr wise

is it available in any part of the world ?
    many thanks

These therapies are not yet available for people in the UK or the U.S. and need to be developed.

wise.

any hope

hi doctor wise
    i wrote to you last year , any new news for me
    many thanks
    zq, yes, I believe that there will be treatments that will restore more function for you.

From your description, you have an incomplete C5 injury with residual neurological deficits in your right hand. The therapies won't be, in my opinion, just transplants of stem cells alone but cell transplants plus other therapies that stimulate axons to grow.

Probably the first generation therapies should strengthen what you have already, including walking faster and for longer distances. By the way, electrical stimulation of the L2 spinal cord already can do this.

The second generation therapies should be transplantation of neural stem cells combined with growth stimuli and inhibitors of axonal transplant, to replace neurons in the cervical spinal cord.

Wise.

Wise why delay in starting clinical trials of neural stem cells with regenerative therapies for motoneuoron injuries?

Quote Originally Posted by Jawaid View Post
    Wise why delay in starting clinical trials of neural stem cells with regenerative therapies for motoneuoron injuries?
    Jawaid,

There are many reasons including the fact that the cells are not yet available.

First, there are no current source of immune-compatible neurons for transplantation. Several companies have fetal neural stem cells that are not yet, in my opinion, shown to be immune-privileged. For example, both Stem Cell Inc. and NeuralStem Inc. have fetal neural progenitor cells. I am not yet convinced by the data that these cells will not be rejected by the central nervous system without immune-suppression. We are considering two sources of such cells, i.e. iPS (induced pluripotent stem cells) and MUSE cells (adult stem cells). A lot of work still needs to be done to get these ready for trial.

The second reason is getting the clinical trials going in India. We have to agree on the protocol and get the clinical trial protocol approved by the appropriate regulatory agencies. I understand that the Indian regulatory agencies are particularly skeptical about surgical exposure of the spinal cord even though they seem to have no objections to people injecting uncertified and unidentified cells intrathecally, intramuscularly, or intravenously. We have been holding meetings of potential Indian investigators to agree on the clinical trial protocol and the training program, as well as raising funds.

The third reason is raising the funds of the trials. Many people have suggested that the government of India would be willing to consider funding clinical trials but this will require application by Indian investigators. In the meanwhile, we need to raise some private funds for meeting costs and trial organizational costs.

Wise.

I think that this may have something to do with what is being talked about on this thread:
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz1MBZjOgWe
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

Quote Originally Posted by StemCells&AtomBombs View Post
    I think that this may have something to do with what is being talked about on this thread:
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz1MBZjOgWe
    Exciting breaking news! Thanks for posting the link! We've been waiting for this announcement.

This is great news indeed.

Grammy can this be great news for us? I mean with lumbar injury and loss of bladder bowel and sexual function.