Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Stem Cell treatment for C5inc

Can this be a good news for lower injury patients who need neuronal replacement therapy? Can embryonic cells do that for loer injury patients?

Jawaid, I'm very much in favor of your persistence in finding answers to your and our problems. I hope that the end is in site for all of us. It is difficult and your persistence is an indication of your desire to improve. Thanks for all you do and your persistence.

keeping on

Fampridine. This is to improve function of demyelinated axons.
    • CPG Stimuation. This is the work done by Richard Herman in Phoenix, Arizona and in Austria by Milan Dimitrijevic and colleagues. You can easily search for these on CareCure.
    My daughter has a T12 injury with possible injury to L1 and maybe L2. If she injured her L2 will that mean she won't be able to recover walking. She has return on her left side to her knee a little return on her right. Still nothing below the knee. Will your current trial or any current research be helpful to her? Should I be looking into Fampridine or CPG Stimulation? After searching care cure I see that Richard Herman has retired.

Her medical report at the time of her injury stated:
    "IMPRESSION
    1. L1 comminuted posterior element fractures with one vertebral body
    posterior dislocation/displacement of the L1vertebral body in relation to the
    T12 vertebral body. This traumatic abnormality is highly associated with
    neurologic injury and an MRI of the thoracic and lumbar spine is
    recommended.
    2. Likely T12 superior endplate fracture.
    3. T11 spinous process fracture.
    4. Moderately displaced left L2 transverse process fracture."
    Also was mentioned that her MRI showed "extensive paraspinal edema" and "epidural fat had been herniated out . . ."

i do believe in tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Leif,

Brain and spinal cord connections are complicated. On the other hand, we know from direct observations of animals and people who have recovered walking from spinal cord that remarkably few axons are necessary and sufficient to restore locomotion. So, the question is how animals and people recover function with so little spinal cord. The answer is that many animals and people recover movements that are programmed in the spinal cord.

Walking is one of these functions that recover in people with incomplete spinal cord injuries. Many people with as little as 10% of the descending tracts of their spinal cords recover unassisted walking. The central pattern generator is located at about the L2 segment of the spinal cord. The brain does not need a great deal of complex interactions with the central pattern generator in order to activate walking behavior. In fact, you don't need the brain at all for walking. Anybody who has seen a decapitated chicken run understands this.

In the 1980's, Barbeau, et al. reported that cats can be trained to walk

Another function that appears to recover frequently is micturition (the act of urination). This is a complex function that involves coordination between the central, autonomic and somatic nervous systems, with brain centers including the pontine micturition center, periaqueductal gray, and the cerebral cortex (Source). Yet, spontaneous and coordinated micturition frequently recovers in animals and people with spinal cord injuries that damage >90% of their ascending and descending tracts.

Much of micturition must programmed in the spinal cord and the peripheral ganglia that control the bladder and sphincters. The presence of peripheral ganglia coordinating the bladder and sphincters must be the reason why Dr. Xiao has been able to restore micturition in people by bridging a lumbar ventral root to the pudendal nerve. These people can micturate by scratching the dermatome of the ventral root that is connected to the pudendal nerve. Interestingly, according to Dr. Xiao, in children with spina bifida and retention of some connectivity between their brains and lower spinal cords, such bridging procedures can lead to restoration of voluntary micturition.

Decapitated chickens not only can run around after their heads are cut off. They micturate and defecate. Therefore, the programs for such functions must reside in the spinal cord and even in peripheral ganglia. Animals and people with less than 10% of their spinal cord crossing the injury site can walk voluntarily and often so well that an untrained observer cannot tell the difference between such recovered people and normal. While it is true that the connections between the brain and spinal cord are complex and extensive, this does not mean that recovery of function requires recreation of all the complex connections.

Our goal therefore must be to develop therapies that can make people with so-called "complete" spinal cord injuries incomplete and people with incomplete spinal cord injury more incomplete. For people who have damage of their spinal cord gray matter, we must find ways of restoring that involve replacing motoneurons and neuronal circuitry. We have the tools to do so now with neural stem cells and methods to stimulate regeneration by these cells. For example, we are starting experiments in which we are genetically modifying neural stem cells to grow axons after they are transplanted.

I want to urge you to avoid joining the ranks of naysayers. Yes, based on history, spinal cord injury has not been cured. If you want to believe that history recapitulates itself, yes, we will not have a cure. However, I think that there is progress. A century ago, people thought that flying was impossible. Fifty years ago, talking on a cell phone was considered science fiction but how many of us are without a cell phone today? Transplantation of organs was considered to be impossible when I went to medical school. Now, it is routinely done. Yes, we can and will cure spinal cord injury.

Wise.

Dr Young,
    Thank you always for your thorough and understandable explanations, and than you most of all for the hope that you bring millions of people.
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by StemCells&AtomBombs View Post
    Yes, we can and will cure spinal cord injury.

Wise..
    that quote just made my night. goodnight and good luck.