Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stem Cell treatment for C5inc

Stem Cell treatment for C5inc

dear all i am woundering if anyone knows is if stem cell treatment will help or work on C5 inc after 3 years knowing that i do walk on crutches but my right hand is not getting any better

Quote Originally Posted by zq783 View Post
    dear all i am woundering if anyone knows is if stem cell treatment will help or work on C5 inc after 3 years knowing that i do walk on crutches but my right hand is not getting any better
    zq783,

I am not sure that anybody knows but, to date, the evidence is not convincing that any stem cell therapy alone (without other regenerative therapies) will restore function that is due to motoneuronal injury. Let me explain further.

Injury to the spinal cord causes two types of damage. One is damage to the ascending and descending axons (nerve fibers) that go from the brain to the spinal cord. This causes loss of sensation and control of the spinal cord below the injury site. However, the spinal cord below the injury often remains alive and active, manifesting in spasticity and sometimes in neuropathic pain.

The second is damage to the neurons that at the level of injury. For example, if your injury site is at C8, this damages the neurons that innervate your hand and you will see atrophy of the muscles of your forearm and your had. Likewise, if your injury is at spinal level T10, you may damage the motoneurons that innervate your upper leg (i.e. your hip flexors and quadriceps).

To fix the former, what one needs to get axonal regeneration and sprouting
    • by implanting cells to bridge the injury site and allow axons to grow across,
    • by providing a continuing source of growth factors (such as the neurotrophins) to stimulate axonal growth, and
    • by blocking growth inhibitors that are present in the spinal cord (including Nogo and chondroitin-6-sulfate proteoglycans).

This is what we are trying to do with HLA-matched umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells (UCBMC) and lithium in clinical trial. The UCBMC should bridge the injury site and provide a bridge. The lithium stimulates the cells to produce neurotrophins that would stimulate the axons to grow. We are planning to add growth inhibitor blockers.

The second problem, i.e. local damage to neurons at the injury site, will require a different solution. We will probably need to implant neural stem or progenitor cells (stem cells that produce neurons) that have been treated with sonic hedgehog and other factors that will push the cells to produce motoneurons. After the cells have been implanted, we must treat the cells with growth factors and other treatments that will stimulate the motoneurons to send their axons out of the ventral roots to reinnervate muscle. Doug Kerr has shown that this is possible in animals where he used a virus to destroy motoneurons, implanted embryonic stem cells that had been converted to motoneurons with factors such as retinoic acid and sonic hedgehog, and then treated with regenerative therapies (such as dibutyryl cAMP and rollipram) to stimulate the cells to extend neurons into the ventral roots.

It is likely that both types of treatment will also cause surviving axons to sprout. In your case, you have incomplete spinal cord injury. This means that you have surviving axons that are allowing you to walk. Treatments with neurotrophin or drugs that increase neurotrophin production should simulate the surviving axons to sprout and innervate more neurons below the injury site. This may result in better control of movement, less fatigue, and greater strength.

Wise.

Dr.Wise,

According to my reports what kind of damage I seem to have ? And in which kind of these two therapies I need to focus on ?

Thank You very much

Quote Originally Posted by ValonOsmani View Post
    Dr.Wise,

According to my reports what kind of damage I seem to have ? And in which kind of these two therapies I need to focus on ?

Thank You very much
    Most people have both kinds of injuries. I suspect that you do, too. It is entirely possible that regenerative therapies such as umbilical cord blood and lithium would restore you to a stage that is similar to what zq783 has. At that point, we have to address the segmental neuronal loss. Wise.

Dr.Wise,

Thank you very much ... You encourage me to train even harder...

If we could only get these regenerative therapies containing umbilical cord and lithium crackin faster, we just might be able to get back some kind of real life...

So the nerve roots leaving the spinal cord also don't regenerate?
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Good ting you are so positive Dr. Young. But the brain/cord connections for example, as I understand it, are not so simple, not the cord either like you tend to explain. I asked here some time ago about the cord (couple of years ago), and then the answers was it was difficult, but now suddenly it seams not to be. What has happened?

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    So the nerve roots leaving the spinal cord also don't regenerate?
    Mine didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    Good ting you are so positive Dr. Young. But the brain/cord connections for example, as I understand it, are not so simple, not the cord either like you tend to explain. I asked here some time ago about the cord (couple of years ago), and then the answers was it was difficult, but now suddenly it seams not to be. What has happened?
    Finally science realized that some neurological damages actually only needs gentle pushing in the right direction for the human body to start cooperating with good results as outcome?
    @Leif - if you are keen on knowing everything about the complexity of the spinalcord before we try anything - you can rest assured that you and me wont be walking in this life.
    Lets get to work - then discover for what reasons things went good/bad
    (and the reason I use 'bad' in that sentence, and not 'worse' - is because it can't get any worse - and you should know that).

Let's get moving- shall we?