Thread: Wheelchair Rodeo III

Wheelchair Rodeo III

For the third year I am organizing a wheelchair rodeo at the Asheville, NC VA hospital. We have 150 Vets on that hospital's SCI/D list.

What's a wheelchair rodeo, you ask? All events are open to manual, power and scooter users, We have drag races for manual and power chairs; rodeo-style barrel racing; an obstacle course run by both classes; a poker run. It's humbling when our WWII Vets get in the races and do well. The competitive juices still flow for these guys.

Local antique/hot rod car club members show up with 20 of the slickest looking rides and the Vets vote for the "People's Choice" award.

Caregivers have their own events which include massages, a cooking demonstration by a young lady who is a T-12 para, a VA hospital nutritionist and a social worker who facilitates a group discussion.

Following the games and events we chow down with a cookout. During the meal a local clogging dance group entertains the Vets, caregiver and quests.

Trophies for racers and drawings for door prizes (usually gift cards) round out the four-hour event.

The VA hospital supports this event with tents, tables, chairs and other equipment. Our hospital's Recreational Therapy department folks, social workers, nutritionist, several prosthetic personnel and others all volunteer their time on this Saturday.

Our local Paralyzed Veterans of America chapters is our largest donor and we receive funds from other organizations as well.

It's a great day for the Vets, their caregivers and guests and especially for the hospital staff and volunteers.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

Quote Originally Posted by wazabiker View Post
    For the third year I am organizing a wheelchair rodeo at the Asheville, NC VA hospital. We have 150 Vets on that hospital's SCI/D list.

What's a wheelchair rodeo, you ask? All events are open to manual, power and scooter users, We have drag races for manual and power chairs; rodeo-style barrel racing; an obstacle course run by both classes; a poker run. It's humbling when our WWII Vets get in the races and do well. The competitive juices still flow for these guys.

Local antique/hot rod car club members show up with 20 of the slickest looking rides and the Vets vote for the "People's Choice" award.

Caregivers have their own events which include massages, a cooking demonstration by a young lady who is a T-12 para, a VA hospital nutritionist and a social worker who facilitates a group discussion.

Following the games and events we chow down with a cookout. During the meal a local clogging dance group entertains the Vets, caregiver and quests.

Trophies for racers and drawings for door prizes (usually gift cards) round out the four-hour event.

The VA hospital supports this event with tents, tables, chairs and other equipment. Our hospital's Recreational Therapy department folks, social workers, nutritionist, several prosthetic personnel and others all volunteer their time on this Saturday.

Our local Paralyzed Veterans of America chapters is our largest donor and we receive funds from other organizations as well.

It's a great day for the Vets, their caregivers and guests and especially for the hospital staff and volunteers.
    what time saturday? I'll be in morganton (burke county), i know we have a poker run thru pisgah forest some time saturday afternoon
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by brucec View Post
    what time saturday? I'll be in morganton (burke county), i know we have a poker run thru pisgah forest some time saturday afternoon
    The rodeo is on Saturday, September 19 at the VA hospital. We begin at 10 a.m. and run until 2 p.m. Be there if you can.

If you're in Pisgah Forest Saturday, Sept 5, PM me and perhaps we can get together.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now