Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vehicle modifications

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Vehicle modifications

I'm doing well trying to make the best out of the situation I'm in, but would like to get back to driving to give me more freedom. I currently have a toyota tacoma and dearly love it. I was wondering if anyone out there knew of people, sites or links to some info on putting hand controls on the truck. I can get into the truck, but over time I think and have been told by doctors and my physical therapist that it would kill my shoulders over time. Also taking apart my wheelchair from the drivers seat with no core strenght to hold me up is very hard. Not sure what to do. Does anyone out there have any thoughts or experience with this problem. I am sorta leaning towards looking at a car, but man does that not make me happy. I would hate to see my truck go. Thanks for the help.

A few years back I saw a full size Toyota Tundra with a Bruno Turny seat and a small crane that came out of the back and picked up the chair and put it in the back. Not the most convenient of units, but like everything SCI, it is a trade off.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Lower the truck. I have a 2003 gmc sierra that's slammed...

Quote Originally Posted by warchi81 View Post
    I'm doing well trying to make the best out of the situation I'm in, but would like to get back to driving to give me more freedom. I currently have a toyota tacoma and dearly love it. I was wondering if anyone out there knew of people, sites or links to some info on putting hand controls on the truck. I can get into the truck, but over time I think and have been told by doctors and my physical therapist that it would kill my shoulders over time. Also taking apart my wheelchair from the drivers seat with no core strenght to hold me up is very hard. Not sure what to do. Does anyone out there have any thoughts or experience with this problem. I am sorta leaning towards looking at a car, but man does that not make me happy. I would hate to see my truck go. Thanks for the help.
    If you already have the truck, you might as well at least try it, before you go and buy a new car. I've met plenty of SCIs who drive trucks. My pharmacist in rehab was a quad who had a pickup, he had a beasty crane to lift the chair into the back.

IMO I think the therapists tend to be a little paranoid about shoulders, but what do I know.

Think about how often you are using the truck, I only make maybe 10 trips a week, so I transfer in and out maybe 3 times a day. There's lots worse things that I do to my shoulders than lift a chair over myself a few times a day.

Agreed. I have a Toyota Prefia, it's an all-wheel drive so it's bigger than a reg van. I've set it up with hand controls and go every where with it. With the all-wheel drive should be a great hunting van in the winter.

I'm doing well trying to make the best out of the situation I'm in, but would like to get back to driving to give me more freedom. I currently have a toyota tacoma and dearly love it.
    Since you love your truck you should keep it as long as you can! I have a 2008 Toyota Tacoma and have a Glide N Go and Bruno PUL 1100 installed and love them both and would definitely recommend them or at least you check them out before you get rid of your truck for a car. I have had trucks for 20 years and bought a Toyota Camry a couple years ago cause I thought it would make things easier......2 months later I got rid of the Camry and got back into a truck, I hated the car and will never have one again!

Larry
    ------
    Visit - The Wolfe Pit Channel

That's a sweet rig wolfeman. Insurance or Voc Rehab probably does not help pay for any of that though huh. I can imagine its pretty pricey. What is your level of injury?

That's a sweet rig wolfeman. Insurance or Voc Rehab probably does not help pay for any of that though huh. I can imagine its pretty pricey. What is your level of injury?
    No, Insurance considers it a convenience, not a necessity. Everything the Glide N Go, Bruno PUL1100 and labor cost $7,970.00 through Ride A Way.

I do not have an SCI, I have Spinal Muscular Atrophy Type II and had a spinal fusion with 3 harrington rods inserted (1985) to straighten/support my spine and rib cage.
    Larry
    ------
    Visit - The Wolfe Pit Channel

Quote Originally Posted by WolfeMan View Post
    No, Insurance considers it a convenience, not a necessity. Everything the Glide N Go, Bruno PUL1100 and labor cost $7,970.00 through Ride A Way.
    OMFG ever feel like you get constantly boned as a crip. Thats more than I paid for my car.

I have an '86 GMC full size 4X4 pickup that I got one year after my injury (T-10). The years of climbing in and out of it have taken a toll on my shoulders and arm joints. Do your self a favor and install a lift or get something low to the ground.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF WATER AND FIBER