Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got fed in public for the first time today

Blog Entries

Got fed in public for the first time today

Unable to eat after midnight, I was famished enough after my tests to eat in the hospital cafeteria. So among all the young male doctors, one of whom (though nobody specific yet) I always assumed will end up being my partner, I felt myself devolve from the invisible that Betheny has described so well to just infantile (or aged), and totally out of the running. Do folks with lousy hands just not go out to eat, learn somehow to use adaptive silverware, or just let someone feed you?

I can't feed myself and for a long time I refused to eat or drink anything in public beyond things like a drink that came with a straw.

But the thing that changed my mind and got me to at least consider eating out was I saw a husband and wife having an anniversary meal when I was in one of the best places to eat in my city and I was miserable and refusing to eat anything but a milkshake because I was too self-conscious. I think the wife must have had MS. Anyway they were sitting side by side and he was feeding her and although I was staring at them (nice, I know ), the thing that struck me was that nobody else seemed to be noticing them. How they were sitting it really was barely noticable at all he was feeding her. In fact my brother, who was sitting right beside me never noticed at all until I pointed it out. Then we were both staring. Sigh. Anyway they were having a really good time. After that I started to feel less self conscious about it. I still won't go order something that might be complicated or messy or take a long time when I go out. But I do eat out fairly often, sometimes a few times a week.

I don't know how bad your hands are. I think it's really hard at first if you have to rely on somebody else to eat, even partially. Almost 4 years into this, it still bothers me but not enough that it prevents me from eating out.

You know what? Everyone gets so worried about what people are thinking, when in reality most peple may think about you for a few minutes, and then go right back to thinking about themselves. Dont let others stop you from enjoying a meal out. Enjoy every mouthful. I have a peg tube and havent eaten real food for 3 yrs. Before I had to stop eating I had no use of my hands so it wasnt pretty when I ate out but I enjoyed every mouthful. It was always an adventure especially with "friends" who couldnt find my mouth, but could find my ear. lol Go out and eat a big ,juicy burger for me and enjoy every mouthful.

All the best,
    Mark

People get embarrassed.It's natural,it's human...

Although I don't need help now,those feelings are still with me from my first month(s) of sci.First,I had no way to do so,I had to depend on the hand of another.I would hardly eat,it was a hard pill to swallow.As I regained some function it was still hell.I had huge plasticware attached to a strap eating off a plate that was raised close to my face.I still managed to make a huge mess even with a towel length bib.I wanted independence,but not at that price.It was still torture.I was fortunate to move on but it seems like the madness was yesterday.

It seems we're always looking for normalcy but what really is normal?It didn't sink in that people probably weren't really staring & giggling as I thought until I met a friend in rehab with spastic CP.His muscles kept him jumping & jerking in his chair.Arms whaling,he couldn't feed himself.Even with his food drenched bib,he was the light of the show.Not because of how he ate,but because of him,his conversation,his intellect,his humor.You were likely to get spit on,but he was the first one I wanted to sit by.I think too that people are more likely to zero in on someone sulking because of their limitations rather than just ignoring them & enjoying themselves.

Blog Entries
    I don't worry much whar people think nearly as uch as just managing wjat I need.But when it's men I'd like to date it changes the ballgame.

Hi Random,
    My hands are good enough to be able to manage easy stuff, but I never order anything that needs to be cut into pieces outside. Lately I have started to allow one person to tackle it for me cause I am sick of eating things for convience instead of desire. Nobody notices, and now if I really wanted something I would just ask the kitchen to cut it up before they even brought it to me.

Random,

If all a guy gets out of who you are is that your hands don't work so well, then he is NOT the guy for you, no matter how hot, cute, handsome or sexy...

Every once in a while, even I get the "woe is me's" and I call my dear bf and tell him that I am having to ride the electric cart at WalMart...crying...and he tells me...

Honey, I love you, getty over it!

He's such a keeper!

...and NO, I am not telling Random to get over it! So don't anybody go reading stuff into my words here...or throwing darts of flame at me!!!

I know that needing to be fed is a BIG deal...and I wish I could fix it....

Teena

I get sad that guys don't look at me the same way anymore and wonder if anyone will ever find me attractive again.

Blog Entries
    Teena, your words may be only happy for you, and gave me hope. Does he have a brother?