Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adequate Cushion

totoL1, is that cushion you indicated durable? Is it good compared to the jay medical Xtreme? I read about it. I am no athlete and I´m a heavy and tall guy. I liked that because the price is attractive and it looks like not being exposed to leaking fluid or air....maybe

rdf, I cant see much difference between the Jay 2 and Xtreme. They look more or less the same to me. But thins is an excellent point that you have been using it for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by omeleteman View Post
    totoL1, is that cushion you indicated durable? Is it good compared to the jay medical Xtreme? I read about it. I am no athlete and I´m a heavy and tall guy. I liked that because the price is attractive and it looks like not being exposed to leaking fluid or air....maybe

This is the first time i`ve got this kind of cushion, and i have it for about 2 months ago, so i can`t tell you how durable is, but i was speaking with guys who have got Supracor and they told that they are durable too.

I like it more than Jay XTreme, the Jay weight about the double and i`ve got the same problem with the Roho and the Jay, to much hot in summer here and my bum was alwasy sweating.

So if you live in Brazil, there`s a lot of hot and humidity too and i think that your better option is Supracor, but if you say that you are a heavy guy i don`t think that the Stimulite sport is your better option.
    I weight 75 kilos and for me is perfect.
    Here you can see more of this kind of cushions
    http://www.sportaid.com/xcart/cushio...cks/stimulite/
    Maybe the Stimulite Classic is a good option for you.
    I just can tell you that i have tried air, gel and Supracor and now i know that supracor are going to be my cushions for the rest.

I make a report of this cushion here http://www.adaptado.es/content/view/147/32/
    it`s in Spanish but try to translate it, when the cushions are new they are a bit hard, but in a about a week they come softer.

You're not going to be able to determine what cushion works best for youunless you have someone who knows what they're doing either pressure mapping you with a bunch of different cushionsor feeling underneath making sure it's not too hard or too soft while you're sitting on it. Some Christians may not cause any problems at first but eventually you'll start noticing spots because they were never fit right. That's the only way you're going to get the perfect cushion for you.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Unfortunately, I have no access to these kinds of tests here. So, I better risk buying one of these good ones, instead of using the simple one I have been using since my Roho teared, right?
    I may not find the perfect one but knowing others experience with cushions around here can help me deciding. I have to order it tomorrow. I am trying to decide between Jay 2 and Supracor. I weight sth around 100 kgs. rdf, this Jay 2 is good for heavy guys and does it get too hot in summer? I used Roho Quadtro Select and never had problems with butt heat or sweating.

Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    You're not going to be able to determine what cushion works best for youunless you have someone who knows what they're doing either pressure mapping you with a bunch of different cushionsor feeling underneath making sure it's not too hard or too soft while you're sitting on it. Some Christians may not cause any problems at first but eventually you'll start noticing spots because they were never fit right. That's the only way you're going to get the perfect cushion for you.
    We don`t have pressure mapping here in Spain too, well maybe in a private clinical, but i will have to pay a lot of money for something that i really don`t need it.
    My SCI is incomplete, so the best mapping i`ve got is my sensitivity.
    And my sensitivity tell me go for Supracor.

Quote Originally Posted by omeleteman View Post
    Unfortunately, I have no access to these kinds of tests here. So, I better risk buying one of these good ones, instead of using the simple one I have been using since my Roho teared, right?
    I may not find the perfect one but knowing others experience with cushions around here can help me deciding. I have to order it tomorrow. I am trying to decide between Jay 2 and Supracor. I weight sth around 100 kgs. rdf, this Jay 2 is good for heavy guys and does it get too hot in summer? I used Roho Quadtro Select and never had problems with butt heat or sweating.
    I'm around 72 kilograms, somewhat lighter than you. But I've used the Jay 2 in SoCal, Las Vegas, Phoenix AZ...among other areas of the country that get very hot, without any problems. It's really a bummer that you can't get pressure-mapped, which would be the best way to go about finding the right cushion.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

My first cushions, many years ago, was a ROHO, I later switched to a Jay Active, which I have always liked because I didn't have to worry about a flat cushion any longer, the same thing we all don't like about a ROHO.

The Jay Active has a small jel pad in the rear and it will last around 5 years, for me, and they get old and split and the jel comes out. Obviously it is best to replace this jel pad sooner. I always had to place a bit of foam to jack up the foam a bit as I didn't like the way I sat and I had to add extra industrial velcro to keep the pad in place.

A couple months ago my Jay Active jel pad did split. A couple years ago a friend gave me a quatro ROHO, 4"; I am not sure why he did but I never used it except once in the car on a road trip, which was nice. Being without the Jay I was forced to use the ROHO and I quickly liked how I felt. (I injured my lower back several years after my SCI injury and my back bothers me a lot, but it feels much better on the ROHO.)

Many on here like the Stimulite cushions; I tried a Contour but didn't like it and I now have a Classic XS here and I am not fond of it either; I am not having redness issues but my body aches after sitting on it, I tried it for two staright days. Most state it needs 7 days to break in, well it would have t do a lot of breaking! I love the concept, not having to worry about flats or leaks! Getting back on the ROHO felt so good.

While I have some mixed feeling about the ROHO because I already patched one hole, but it is so nice on the body I believe I am going to go this route for a time.

ROHO now has a 3" version of the quatro that I plan to try.

You might think about the Varilite cushions. They're foam AND air. I've always had just foam or foam and gel and I really like the foam and air. At first I felt a little unstable with the air, but now I'm very happy. You can see them here http://www.varilite.com I have the Meridian, and like that I can adjust the front differently from the back. I tried the Jay Extreme and was not comfortable and got a pink spot, but everybody is different. I've had the same problem as Brianm with gel leaks and they really are a lot heavier.

I have 2 cushions a Jay 2 and a Vicair Adjuster. The Jay2 wins as far a pressure mapping goes for me but the Vicair is just so much lighter, so significantly so that I use it out of preference and have never had a problem with pink spots. I also find it far more stable than a roho and is completely puncture proof which is great for an air cushion. I have never had a problem with leaking gel from my Jay2 but I have to be careful not to let my cat on the chair when it's on as she claws and I'm terrified she'll puncture it!
    [IMG]file:///Users/Mememe/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]