Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Severe Pain Requires Severe Meds!

Angry Severe Pain Requires Severe Meds!

As a member of the Super High Pain Club... I am going to try Methadone after I rehab from a Surgery in a month. Personally, my pain is so severe and all the time, I could give a rats ass if someone thinks I will get addicated... I choose to think of it as dependent, but who gives a crap... not me... I just want a better life. So to all those whack jobs worrying about symantics??? You are obvoiusly not on the level of pain as some us... Addicts! Who Cares what its called... I need help with the pain! who cares about withdrawls... Ive been through that too... when I forget several doses.. and I start to feel squirly.... its not fun, but, not enough to not take pain meds for help and a better life? I just dont get it!
    Mike (Florida)

Cant we get 1 do over?

Semantics do matter, the problem is that many misunderstand or twist the difference between addiction and dependancy. Just as a quick example; meth-heads are addicts, diabetics on insulin are dependants. People in severe pain should be able to use pain meds without a stigma.

I agree with David.Mike, you go right on ahead treating your pain in a manner that helps you. Just please be careful about over doing it - I'd hate to find out you died - but were pain free!

Hell yes, Mike, get some relief. Hopefully someday soon The cause of your pain will reveal itself and be otherwise manageable...possibly your upcoming surgery? All the best, I hate pain like that!

I get what you're saying.I've felt many years that drs. thought/think I'm an addict or looking for a high b/c I need to change or increase.Our bodies are dependent rather than us being addicted,there's a fine line.People that don't know pain can't see that though.

Anyhow,best of luck with the Methadone.I hope it works as it is the last resort(I think) for pain control.

Quote Originally Posted by mike bauer View Post
    As a member of the Super High Pain Club... I am going to try Methadone after I rehab from a Surgery in a month. Personally, my pain is so severe and all the time, I could give a rats ass if someone thinks I will get addicated... I choose to think of it as dependent, but who gives a crap... not me... I just want a better life. So to all those whack jobs worrying about symantics??? You are obvoiusly not on the level of pain as some us... Addicts! Who Cares what its called... I need help with the pain! who cares about withdrawls... Ive been through that too... when I forget several doses.. and I start to feel squirly.... its not fun, but, not enough to not take pain meds for help and a better life? I just dont get it!
    I so agree with you. I so worry what my son (age 10) thinks of my pill taking, but I think I have explained thoroughly that my doctor wants to make sure I have some kind of quality of life so I can enjoy being a Mom and function even if it is at it's currently low level. He has seen me suffering and I believe he is aware of the benefits of the medicine.

The rest of the world can TAFL.
    http://brinaesau.blogspot.com

Without change, there would be no butterflies.

Smile severe pain

i agree with the others mike you go for it. pain is no fun, you will always get thoes who choose to think your business is their business.you try it as a last resort"good luck and iope you get some relief iaminthe process of trying todecide whether i will try Lyrica with neurontin to get, better pain releif this drives me insane......oxycontin does nothing etc,...... ,take care mike thinking of you

Good luck with that methadone. I tried it and only worked for a few weeks. I've tried everything. I even had Dilaudid in my baclofen pump which I continuously had to turn up. By the time I had it taken out, I could barely concentrate or have a conversation on anything. These days I just grin and bear it the best I can. Not much I can really do besides that. And addiction is a problem when you're into the pill for a month and it stops working and you need to get off of it because you can't afford it anymore. That's a tough one.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Hi Mike, Im in the same club and after 5 years I'm going the pain pump route. I'm opioid intollerant so have had no luck with any drugs or cocktails.

My spine is deteriorating so it is getting worse but there are no fixes surgically, next would be a 5-7 level fusion with high risk and limited reward.

Pump should buy 5 years they say and hopefully technology mayhave some answers, my orthopod described a new artificial disc in development that would be ideal for me and he figures it to be 3-5 years out.

Do what you need but hang in there.

Kindly Bill

K

Quote Originally Posted by sesau1 View Post
    The rest of the world can TAFL.
    Had the same concerns that you have about being dependent, addictive or whatever word you want to label it, a neurologist I saw in the nineties asked me me if I wanted to be "depend on the pain or depend on the pill".

On another note, there are all sorts of acronyms that have evolved in the last decade or so that I ever heard of TAFL And this is the only thing is find on the net about it and was wondering how it was applicable.

This was all I could find, is that what you intended?

Tafl games are a family of ancient Germanic and Celtic strategy board games played on a checkered or latticed gameboard with two armies of uneven numbers, representing variants of an early Scandinavian board game called tafl or hnefatafl in contemporary literature.