Thread: Fusion Reversal ? Anyone Had Hardware Removed, Need Help!!

Fusion Reversal ? Anyone Had Hardware Removed, Need Help!!

Hi all , I'm new here had lumbar fusion in 2003 . 2 ten inch rods, 6 screws and one cage .

I'm now wanting to get all this metal out if it will help .

Anyone here had metal removed ?

Hi,

Let's wait to hear from others but usually hardware is not removed unless causing major problems. In your case, It sounds like you have major issues. Have you discussed this with the neurosurgeon yet?

AAD

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Hi,

Let's wait to hear from others but usually hardware is not removed unless causing major problems. In your case, It sounds like you have major issues. Have you discussed this with the neurosurgeon yet?

AAD

Thanks for reply, this is his wife now replying back .

He really is having a hard time with this back hardware, maybe as much mental as physical. He is now going through methodone withdrawals too, this is 3 week . But he wants to get info on getting out hardware . Some say reversal surgery is worse than putting it in . We find that those who have gone through it are better 'equiped'to give advice than dr.s sometimes .

he had surgery in 2003 .

Quote Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
    Hi all, i'm having trouble with 2003 fusion, more pain and drugs quit working and making me sick .

Please direct me or tell me if you had removal .

2 ten inch rods, 6 screws and 2 cages .
    Meerkat,

It is important that you get the language right. You are not reversing the fusion. The fusion, hopefully, is solid and will stay solid. The rods were put into there to stabilize the spine so that the fusion would occur. They can be removed after several months or years. The cages are not removed. They replace the vertebra that were removed. Only the rods and screws (perhaps only some) will be removed.

Removing rods, however, is not trivial. It means re-exposing the original operative site, cutting away all the scar tissues that have formed around the rods and hooks, removing them, and closing up. That is why most doctors do not like to remove them unless they are causing problems. As KLD pointed out, you do sound like you are reaching the end of your rope in terms of the pain and meds. Preferably, the doctor who put them rods in should be the one who would take them out.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 08-30-2009 at 04:20 PM.

[QUOTE=meerkat;1089986]Thanks for reply, this is his wife now replying back .

He really is having a hard time with this back hardware, maybe as much mental as physical. He is now going through methodone withdrawals too, this is 3 week . But he wants to get info on getting out hardware . Some say reversal surgery is worse than putting it in . We find that those who have gone through it are better 'equiped'to give advice than dr.s sometimes .

he had surgery in 2003 .[/QUOTE
    GOD Bless My son had his 2nd set of rods removed & is happy he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Meerkat,

It is important that you get the language right. You are not reversing the fusion. The fusion, hopefully, is solid and will stay solid. The rods were put into there to stabilize the spine so that the fusion would occur. They can be removed after several months or years. The cages are not removed. They replace the vertebra that were removed. Only the rods and screws (perhaps only some) will be removed.

Removing rods, however, is not trivial. It means re-exposing the original operative site, cutting away all the scar tissues that have formed around the rods and hooks, removing them, and closing up. That is why most doctors do not like to remove them unless they are causing problems. As KLD pointed out, you do sound like you are reaching the end of your rope in terms of the pain and meds. Preferably, the doctor who put them rods in should be the one who would take them out.

Wise.
    Thanks Wise , He thinks they are causing alot of pain, but some say taking out rods and screws won't always help and can even make it worse , not to speak of risk of surgery .

He is having problems from meds too and his withdrawing has been hell for both of us ,haha. But he has talked of getting them out for years now .

[QUOTE=mckeownp;1090028]
    Quote Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
    Thanks for reply, this is his wife now replying back .

he had surgery in 2003 .[/QUOTE
    GOD Bless My son had his 2nd set of rods removed & is happy he did.

Thanks for reply . You said he had them taken out twice ? Did he not fuse or why the second time ?

I had a C-4 to C-6 posterior fusion done in Sept., 1981, three months after my injury. In 1987, the wires were removed when a laminectomy of C-5 was done to check for a syrinx (non was found - they didn't know what caused my pains then, and still don't. Now, it's called Central Pain Syndrome, but they still don't know why some get it and some don't.)

The fusion was fine, and still is. I now have degenerated disks above and below it, as well as some other places.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Sometimes medical professionals no matter how well meaning have their sterilized hands tied....So happened with Mikey..how can one go back and change the approach w/o recourse...I believe, under the presented failure of hardware...his surgeon did what he thought was right....glad to say no more hardware is in him....many scars do not exhibit the pain he has endured....my hero ....my SON...Mikey.