Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some advice re full size vans

I want to thank everyone for your comments and thoughts on this subject.

North Quad - Our son is C4-C5 and operates his powerchair using goalpost (right term?) I'm hoping he'll drive one day and when we discuss vehicles, he certainly lights up when I mention the possibility of him driving one day. (As a side note, he was into super motorcross and his dream is to get into something like that again but he's a teen with 'need for speed') however I believe he needs to get better upper body trunk support to drive any vehicle and don't think it's a big issue in near future.
    You all bring up valid points. I'm starting to think we'll end up with 2 types of vehicles. We like to go on little trips so we need the Ford 150 for all his equip. We seem to take so much stuff like his manual/power/commode chairs. We don't think the 9 yr. old Ford 150 we have would be worth putting the money into to drop the floor plus the fact once the floor is lowered we loose all the space for his equipment.

ChuckFoss, a minivan is my thought for city driving and all his appoint. and outings in town, etc. It would certainly give him the independance he needs.

After reading all your comments, we've got a fair amount of homework to do. I suggested to my husband that maybe we could get a used modified minivan just to try it for a year and see how it works and park the Ford for awhile just to see how it works out.

Again, sincere thanks for everyone's input. We're always open to trying new ideas.

I think looking into a used van is an excellent idea, many times you can find what you need, or close to it, for many thousands less.

If I may ask, did your son get injured while doing motocross?

My injury was from BMX and I enjoy following motocross on TV.

Thanks Brianm, you're right about the minivan.
    Our son was a great motorcross rider however his injury occured on a mountain bike of all things up at Blue Mountain, Collingwood. My older son still does supermoto and my husband occasionally takes our younger one to watch which is another reason we need to keep a bigger vehicle for comfort or rest.
    I keep telling him he should come onto this forum so he sees how many different styles of rec and hobbies there are. Maybe not so much in our area but it's out there.

you should contact one of the disabled sailing association clubs, there are lots in ontario, and they wont close for winter for a few more months. if your son is the sporty, independent type, he will love the martin 16! they can be fully controlled by joystick...

amyk, thank you and yes I took him down to harbourfront doing a demo sail for the first time a week ago. He seemed to enjoy it and I hope to get him out again this week. He was at Quad camp at Shriners, Chicago this summer and had a blast trying waterskiing and scuba diving and generally meeting other teens with sci. What an amazing bunch! Anyways, guess we're getting off topic on this particular thread. I more I read on cc, the more convinced I am that he's gonna do just fine, we just have to find it and explore it as we go along.

Sounds like he and I had simliar accidents, at least both on bikes. It is clear he has great parents willing to expose him to many things!

We went with the dodge sprinter...ABSOLUTELY love it...my son is c5, and has the rear entry...his old chair had a lock (forget what it is called) and he simply would click in and we were good to go...the chair he uses now I use the 3 way harness until we can have the lock installed, and being able to stand up completely is nice...had my grandkids still in seats and it was a snap to put their seats in...also when my kids from out of state came to visit there was always room...we only have the 3 seater up front in most times, but I can manage to remove and put in the other 2 seats when needed...gas, err diesel, milage is awsome...your son is young, but when he decides he is ready to drive it will be time for something else, as all the electrical is under the drivers seat...maybe he'll he ready for a big 'ol truck by then! and there are a few on carecure who drive trucks!

Thanks madmaddmother! I appreciate you taking the time to respond....guess I just have to go out and do a test drive on one of the sprinters.

Quote Originally Posted by madmaddmother View Post
    We went with the dodge sprinter...ABSOLUTELY love it...my son is c5, and has the rear entry...his old chair had a lock (forget what it is called) and he simply would click in and we were good to go...the chair he uses now I use the 3 way harness until we can have the lock installed, and being able to stand up completely is nice...had my grandkids still in seats and it was a snap to put their seats in...also when my kids from out of state came to visit there was always room...we only have the 3 seater up front in most times, but I can manage to remove and put in the other 2 seats when needed...gas, err diesel, milage is awsome...your son is young, but when he decides he is ready to drive it will be time for something else, as all the electrical is under the drivers seat...maybe he'll he ready for a big 'ol truck by then! and there are a few on carecure who drive trucks!
    Most likely an EZ Lock if he has a rod on bottom of his chair. My friend that does not drive had his ford van passenger seat pulled and had it fixed where it sat there. I had to use it once and rode up there and I had a great view. This was the first one I saw like this.

Thanks

David

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Your biggest concern is your son's head height in his powerchair. My height is 58 inches and I do not fit in many vans. In the vehicles specifications listing the total inside height is stated.
    It is so difficult to see effectively. Raised roofs just don't cut it. My head is in the box of the raised roof and all I can see is the ground through the windows. It used to make me nauseous wobbling around and not being able to see. For me a drooped floor of some height is required.

Different powerchairs have different seat heights which determines, along with the seat cushion, how high the top of his head is. If eventually he is able to drive, the difference between a manual and a powerchair and whether or not he can transfer is significant.

The lower the head height, the more the options.

I just learned to drive in a dropped floor raised roof minivan and it was terrible. I borrowed a tdx powerchair which made my height lower but my head was rubbing the headliner and I could barely see out the windshield to drive safely. I did pass however.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 09-02-2009 at 06:31 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt