Thread: Question for you walking quads????

Question for you walking quads????

I'm about 10 years post injury. I was ruled complete, but after 6 months I could walk with a walker, now no assistive devices. I was reading an article that says that as a walking quad, over time your condition will most likely get worse and go back to a wheel chair.... Has anyone experienced this?

Quote Originally Posted by angus View Post
    I'm about 10 years post injury. I was ruled complete, but after 6 months I could walk with a walker, now no assistive devices. I was reading an article that says that as a walking quad, over time your condition will most likely get worse and go back to a wheel chair.... Has anyone experienced this?
    Agin definitely takes a toll. The "go back to a wheelchair" varies according to the muscles that are weak (or shoulders if a crutch user). Also how had you push weakened limbs. Exercise and activity are good but many SCI are showing sins similar to post polio folks where muscles and joints fatigue from years of "overuse" (everyone is different). Don't let that worry hold you back from enjoying life !

Hi Angus,

I was injured in 1967. After going through rehab, I spent the next 38 years walking with crutches. I have always fallen down a lot, but around 2003, I started breaking bones. After breaking my left tibia and fibula and the next year my left knee cap, my OS insisted I use a power chair or possiby break something that would keep me bed ridden for life. I got a power chair and now wished I had started using it many years ago.

Good luck,
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne