Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harrington Rod remains, Mass and pain question for Wise/SCI Nurse or others

Pet scan W/WO who told u, u,are allergic 2 contrast???? u can be treated pre MRI 2 allow contrast...dah who the ----is advising u?

I'm so sorry, Raven, that you keep getting hit with new problems to face. Your plate was full and even overflowing a long while ago -- it's just not right that you now have a mystery mass with which you must deal.

I really understand where you're coming from in terms of your fear of finding something worse than something that causes physical pain. But living in the unknown is a much scarier place to be than coming out into the land of the known. Being able to name what is going on gives you power to deal with it. Letting the mass remain a mystery surrenders your power to it -- it can make itself appear to be far more menacing than it really may be when it is allowed to stay hidden in the shadows.

I would really like to see you take Wise's advice and get a biopsy done so you know what's going on, and can figure out what your options are for dealing with it. I went through two years of misdiagnosis and not knowing before doctors finally discovered the astrocytoma. Although it was a real blow to learn I had an advanced stage of cancer with very poor survival odds, finally being able to name it and knowing what needed to be done to beat it was empowering.

Plus, catching things sooner rather than later gives you more options and better outcomes. Please don't wait until October to make your next move re: this mass.

We will be with you, whatever you choose to do and regardless of what they find.

P.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by WolfeMan View Post
    I have 3 Harrington rods that were inserted in 1985 and (knock on wood) have not had one issue. My surgery was done by a Dr. Nason in Childrens Hospital in Washington, DC.

I really hope everything works out for you for the best!
    I have decided to answer each reply since I feel that each one is a show of care and wonderful way of supporting me at a time when I am feeling pretty overwhelmed.

Thank you WolfeMan for your words and wishes.

As to their putting 3 rods, was there a particular reason for it? I had thought that they always only put one. Glad that they have never given you any problems at all. The less problems we get the better.

Raven
    Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. ~Victor Hugo~

A warrior is not one who always wins,
    but one who keeps on fighting to the end ~ Unknown ~

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Raven,

It sounds like you have been on the right track and will continue to pursue this.
    This is hard work to stay upbeat in the face of lots of complex medical issues.
    I will be praying for you and hope you will seek out friends, family and counselors if needed to discuss this with and to help you through this.

I feel you will get to the bottom of this and it will be taken care of, but please don't try to do this alone.

Keep us posted.

AAD
    Thank you AAD. This year has seemed to be pretty hard to deal with from just about the beginning and the cough that wouldn't let me be. Thank Goodness it seems to be gradually getting better.

I have been very lucky to have a very supporting family, friends and those here at CC who have been there for me all this time. I consider myself blessed. My son has also been a really great support both in caring and being patient with me throughout all this time of turmoil. I will do my best to return the love, care and concern received too. Also will get my counselor to help me deal with whatever may lie ahead if it is needed. Thank you for reminding me to reach out when the journey becomes harder, I will keep that thought in mind. Thanks for keeping me in your prayers, I do appreciate it very much.

Raven
    Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. ~Victor Hugo~

Quote Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
    We'r new here, but hope you get good news from dr.s . Keep you in our thoughtrs and prayers . meerkats wife .
    Thank you meerkats wife for your words. Also want to welcome you to CCC. I know that you will find many friends here and so much support plus information which we need many times. If at any time, I may be of help to you, just ask or pm and I will try my best to help you.

Raven

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    Raven, I am so sorry. I send all the positive thought I have. And cross my fingers and feet that nothing serious is wrong but that they still find out the reason for your pain.
    You know I don't pray, but it doesn't mean my positive thoughts and wishes are not helping you.

Hugs Bente
    LOL Bente, You brought a smile to my face with your words of *crossing my feet*. At times when I want to wish for something good to happen to someone, I also say that I will cross my toes and eyes so things will turn out good. I know your and others positive thoughts and wishes will reach me, I do believe that. Thanks for bringing a smile to my heart today. I needed it.

At this time, I will stop posting. Am feeling sleepy with my meds and a bit tired. Will return to reply to others after I rest or later this evening.

Raven

Arrow

Seeing that the small wound I had has grown I will not be posting much. I need to get a wound doctor to see it and give orders to the agancy nurses in re to the care of it.

I do however wish to thank both Wise and THC for their advice and support. Presently am trying to get a neurologist who will see me at an earlier date.

Have been thinking over the words of advice given by Wise and am tending to go for a biopsy. Let me tell you I am afraid but at the same time am thinking that I shouldn't give this mass too much time either. I hate going into surgery or procedures like the biopsy since the other doctors have not wanted to take a chance but am thinking that maybe it is a high risk not to take the chance and doing the biopsy. My thoughts are similar to the way I felt when they told me about the harrignton rod risks and the benefits of it. Am having trouble here to say some of my fears although my intelligence tells me that in the long run the end result will be some sort of peace of mind. I know that if I don't do it, the pain will most likely keep on going and if the mass is cancer, I give it a chance to take over my body and deny me a chance to life. If it isn't cancer, I will at least give the doctors the opportunity to help me and possibly remove whatever it may be. All these thoughts are what are presently running through my mind in the past two days. I have talked with Nick and even though he doesn't say much, I know he is probably as afraid as I am but will accept my decision(s).

Thank you Wise for your advice and honesty in pointing out the right road for me. Thank you everyone for being there for me at this time and for your prayers and/or good thoughts and wishes. If I am unable to post and update for awhile, I will ask Nick to do so in my place. Keeping my hopes that all this will end well and soon. Again, please keep us in your prayers and thoughts.

Raven