Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stryker Frames in RL and on Film

Stryker Frames in RL and on Film

After seeing Leschinsky mention her experience in another thread (and reference seeing Ralph Macchio's character from "The Outsiders" on one), I'm curious as to how many folks here have spent time on a Stryker frame or circle electric bed.

If you have, would you please share a bit of your experience, such as when and for how long, was it the circle frame or the (as I call it) "pig on a spit" model? Halo or crutchfield tongs?

And on a tangent, can you think of any other movies or television shows that depict a character using a Stryker frame? I spotted my first one in the movie "The Other Side
    of the Mountain" about skier Jill Kinmont. Are there others besides that and "The Outsiders"?
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story

He is in one after being injured, apparently some artistic licence altered this from real events though.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106770/

I did see a circle electric bed in a movie but can't recall the movie. When I woke after the accident in intensive care I was on a circle electric bed I asked the nurse why I was in a baby bed. Have no idea why I thought it was a baby bed lol. When I was moved to another hospital I was on a stryker frame for two months remember my catheter got caught in the frame once when they were turning me.

When I went home two months later I had to have a circle electric bed for four or five (can't even remember anymore) more months. I remember the power going out during an electrical storm when my brother was turning me once and he had to use the hand crank to finish turning me to my stomach.

I could name every dirt spot or stain on the ceiling or floor!
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. ~Winston Churchill

Jeff B: Thanks for the Bruce Lee movie reference. It's not one I've seen, although I do find him a fascinating man.

Aliya: Wow, girl, you have spent a whole lot of time being flipped over. When did all this take place?

I started out on a circle electric bed after I had the first in my matched pair of fusion surgeries, but I didn't last long on it. I was so short that I kept sliding down and ending up with my face pressed against solid mattress instead of being lined up with hole in the mattress. No matter how they tried to support my feet, down I'd go as soon as I started to get vertical. It was such a terrifying feeling that the finally ditched the "head over heels" circle electric model for the manual "pig on a spit" version.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

I know that I have seen a stryker frame in a movie too, but cannot recall the title. I do remeber that paralysis and how the survivors dealt with it was handled well in the following movies:

* Coming Home (1978) starring Jon Voight and Jane Fonda
    * Whose Life Is It Anyway (1981) starring Richard Dryfus and Christine Lahti
    * The Waterdance (1992) starring Eric Stotlz, Helen Hunt, Wesley Snipes and William Forsythe
    * Passion Fish (1992) starring Mary McDonnel and Alfre Woodard
    * The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (2007) French film with subtitles about a man who suffers a major stroke and ends up with "Locked-in" syndrome

I was tonged and flipped for 2 months. Once in awhile I'll rub the hidden scar beneath my hair.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Hear is a clip from a movie called Joni the clip actually has the striker frame in it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6JkW8Bq-38

I first learned what one was in the book about the movie. It seamed like torture. Was it?

Thanks for sharing your stories

Stevie P

I have no idea of the name of what I was in. It was an electric bed of some sorts, that would slowly roll me side to side.

All I remember about that damn thing, I had chest drain tubes in my sides and that @#$% bed would roll me onto the tubes. I guess they were pushing against my broken ribs, and the PAIN that would radiate just blew my mind. I would cuss, cry, bitch out the nurses, tell them to turn the f'ing thing off, you name it. All to no avail.

My early days are a big haze, but that thing made itself memorable. Still got the scars where those tubes were.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Quote Originally Posted by StevieP View Post
    Hear is a clip from a movie called Joni the clip actually has the striker frame in it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6JkW8Bq-38

I first learned what one was in the book about the movie. It seamed like torture. Was it?

Thanks for sharing your stories

Stevie P
    I didn't have the tongs, because my injury is t4/5, but I was on one these for eight weeks in 1971. On my back four hours and my stomach for two. IIRC, they called mine a Foster Frame, rather than a Stryker, but it worked just like this move clip shows.

I rode the Stryker. On your back it wasn't too bad. But the first time turning face down was a new experience. The pressure points on your face got to be miserable after 20 minutes. And my arms needed to be supported just so or the shoulders would start aching.

My plan of attack was: Tell the nurse I wanted a shot for pain. It would kick in and let me sleep 30-45 minutes. Then I just stared at the clock.

I generally stayed exhausted on the Stryker in either direction so the first few minutes in the new position was a relief. One night after being flipped face down I fell asleep for maybe 5 minutes. The nurse came in and said "you were snoring. I wanted to stick that needle in your ear." Of course I woke shortly and had to wait two hours for the flip.

I think I had a different face holder from the one in the clip. I remember cheek bones hurting. I think this is just a movie prop.

No body ever just checked on you on 3rd shift. No call button...sheer torture...

For people with tiny heads maybe the pressure isn't so bad. My head is XXL. It was hell.