View Poll Results: How will Swine/H1N1 flu affect your life?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • I will avoid large crowds and take the H1N1 vaccine if it is available to me.

8 20.51%
  • I will avoid large crowds and not take the H1N1 vaccine if offered.

3 7.69%
  • I will not avoid large crowds and will take the H1N1 vaccine if available to me.

9 23.08%
  • I will neither avoid large crowds nor take the H1N1 vaccine as the risks of swine flu.

9 23.08%
  • I'm taking a wait and see approach because H1N1 has not affected my community and hopefully won't.

6 15.38%
  • You only live once -- why worry? Pass the popcorn.

4 10.26%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Swine/H1N1 Influenza

Swine/H1N1 Influenza

The first reported death in my city (metro 250,000) from H1N1 flu hit yesterday. While not in a panic, I'm seriously considering curtailing activities which would mean exposure to large groups of people.

Personal hygiene can obviously help in prevention of contracting H1N1, but it is not the only factor involved in getting the flu.

Your thoughts on any precautions you will or will not take in relation to H1N1?

I know a lot of people who have had it and not been very sick. 2-3 days with fever and sore throat, nausea and maybe diarrea. This is not as bad as the normal flu people are getting every year. I was sent to the hospital for the flu two years ago with 104F in fever, then I was sick.

So I eat popcorn

After 321 persons had got it here in Norway, the doctors stopped testing and since then they only give the people sick leave for 7 days.
    TH 12, 43 years post

With already compromised lungs and an iffy immune system, I go all out when it comes to flu avoidance. Will probably be wearing a mask and drowning in hand sanitizer during my next flight over to Puerto Rico to seem my physiatrist, not only for the Swine Flu prevention but because it's close enough to the kickoff of the regular flu season.

After surviving a form of cancer that has a 95 percent mortality rate, I'll be damned if I'm going to risk letting the flu do me in.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

I am not much of a crowd person anyway but I am certainly not going to get on an airplane unless I really have to.

I am also a bit leary of vaccines. I always take the regular flu vaccine but I am just wierd about medicines especially ones that we really don't know the side effects to.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

I'll get the regular flu shot; wash hands and stay away from coughers not crowds. I had the live swine flu vaccine back in '76 and so far my doc and the CDC aren't so sure getting the "new" swine flu wouldn't be a bad mix. They are not the same flu but one huge risk of guillame barre syndrome was enough. If I hadn't had the first I'd get this vaccine.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMemChose View Post
    Your thoughts on any precautions you will or will not take in relation to H1N1?
    I've beaten tuberculosis. Some silly flu variation isn't going to kill me.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing View Post
    I've beaten tuberculosis. Some silly flu variation isn't going to kill me.

C.
    Isn't that akin to saying I've survived a car accident, I'll survive the next? There are no guarantees.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
    Isn't that akin to saying I've survived a car accident, I'll survive the next? There are no guarantees.
    Ya think?

C.

OTOH, if my body was strong enough to overcome TB, I don't think it's ridiculous to think that it might be strong enough to overcome the flu.

C.

In this country we are 4 million people and nobody has died yet. One man was on a vent. This flu is worse for those under 20 and people over 50 is hardly getting it.

I am laying in the infection part of the hospital, nobody has got the flu here. And children are not suppose to take Tamiflu, it is more dangerous than the flu. I am nearly sure I hade it when I was in Santa Fe, I had a couple of days when I felt bad and had fever. The time I have UVI is the time I get other things too because my immune system is down. Like I had UVI when I had the flu two years ago.
    TH 12, 43 years post