Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many people have cauda equina and conus injury here?

Live long & prosper, friend, there's no time limit on life with CES, you just have to learn to live with it, not against it. I know - I'm learning too - April 09 injuries.
    I can't walk very well right now- just a couple of feet because of a fall causing further spine injury, but it still doesn't slow me down much - gotta keep up with my kids so I 'roll with it in my manual chair! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by weimin View Post
    hi, what is your level of injury?
    L4 to S1, with unstable and badly herniated disc up to L1 .
    no hardware no fusion, two emergency lam/disc 5 years apart.
    asked about fusion twice to the two most experienced docs in my area, they both said in would be a very long and tough surgery, long painful recuperation.\they bot didn't think i would gain anything and probably lose more function due to all my scar tissue. very strong probability would make my band b worse, plus sex function worse would have to be fused from L1 down
    they also said it would do nothing for my neuropathic pain which was my biggest complaint at the time.
    about the only thing it would do is give me a straight back on a set of of xrays
    with one afo i fet around fine,
    bigest problems are apin and bowels, with bowels winning summer.
    cauda equina

Is any one who lost sexual function but tries something for erection? I mean how can i get erection in my case where i have lost erection?

Quote Originally Posted by Jawaid View Post
    Is any one who lost sexual function but tries something for erection? I mean how can i get erection in my case where i have lost erection?
    I think you have to ask your doctor. He may have some equipment that may help with the erection.

Wow USCMolly talk about Deja-vu all over again! I was also in a plane crash in July 2007 with an L1 Burst fracture - I was 43 at the time. Also walk short distances with forearm crutches and Toe-Off AFO's. No bowel or bladder, I can get an erection but cannot feel anything down there.... kind of like the party is going on but the presents never show up! Neuro pain is a problem. Bum is on fire and from the knees down I feel like I'm wearing cactus socks soaked in gas and set alight. Sigh.

/Just got back from a cruise to Alaska - highly recommended

The oral ED drugs may not work if you have CES, but both penile injection therapy (PIT) and vacuum tumescence devices (VTD) are usually good options for men with SCI who need help either achieving or maintaining erections. Your urologist is most likely to be a resources for this. I would recommend avoiding surgical implants if possible due to a high rate of complications in men with SCI.

(KLD)

Dear SCI Nurse

Will i have to use both penile injection and vacuum device at a time for erection or you mean any of these two can give erection? Can i use injections? Are injections self injected and how long erection remains and within how muvh erection starts after injecting?

Dear SCI Nurse

Will i have to use both penile injection and vacuum device at a time for erection or you mean any of these two can give erection? Can i use injections? Are injections self injected and how long erection remains and within how muvh erection starts after injecting?
    No, not at the same time. These are two separate options to explore. With injection therapy you give yourself a shot in the side of your penis each time you want to have an erection. It is not difficult to learn how to do this. The erection should occur within 5 minutes and usually lasts from 1-2 hours. The drug is usually alprostadil, although a combination compounded drug such as Bimix or Trimix may also be used by some urologists. A downside is the the medications can be quite expensive and are not covered by all insurances.

With a pump, you apply this whenever you want to have an erection. It takes about 5 minutes to apply, and you can safely leave the tension ring in place to maintain the erection for up to 30 minutes.

(KLD)

I seem to be in the same boat, L1-L2 burst fractures while road racing motorcycles at Sears Point (now Infineon) raceway April 2009. Have a couple of 12 inch rods holding the top half to the bottom half.

Can't walk, have no feeling at all below the waist, no motor in the right leg but motor in the upper half of the left leg. No bowel / bladder / sex either. Can do a few things with the left leg, extension/flexion/etc

Should be able to get the left leg strong enough to at least help with transfers but I'd really like to walk one day like some of you guys. I've been in bed since my injury date until now healing up from the 5 million other injuries I also had, after 18 weeks in bed finally was cleared to sit in a chair for the first time yesterday. Peed myself trying to transfer, really good confidence builder that one.

Doing better today, but being in a chair sucks, gotta get the rest of these muscles waking up. I should finally be heading to acute rehab this week at Valley med in San Jose, supposed to be a good place.

Lots and lots of nerve pain too, mostly in the upper half of my legs. Hope it is a sign of something good coming because it is really getting to me.

- Eric

Dear Nurse

As i have no erection at the moment but if i touch my girlfriend and kiss her i discharge soon. Will my duration of discharge increase after taking injection?