Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many people have cauda equina and conus injury here?

How many people have cauda equina and conus injury here?

I'm just curious how many of you here have cauda equina and/or conus injuries? How did you get the injury? At what age did you get it and how many years have you got it already? What are the problematic health areas that you have to deal with since the injury? Thanks!

I have damage to the cauda equina at L3(compression fracture) and L5(burst fracture) levels. I got it in Mar 2003 due to a fall from 4 storeys at 22 years of age. I'm 6 years post sci. I have op done in 2003 with L3 anterior corpectomy and ORIF Left tibia. I still have lack of bowel and bladder control (close to 0%). I can walk but I have left foot drop also due to the tibia fracture. When climbing stairs need railing support.

i have a cauda equine injury,
    sorry to hear of your injury at your age. it really botghers me to see young prople injured.
    i at least made it to my late 40's before i got hurt.
    your injury is a lot more incapacitating than mine.
    i actually can do quite a bit if i have the pain controlled and the bowels controlled.
    the bowels have been my big issue now.
    cauda equina

I too have cauda equina injury, as a matter of fact today is the anniversary of the date, doc did it for me, screwed up surgery, pinched spinal cord during surgery. I can walk up stairs, but pretty much relegated to chair. Didn't slow me down much, go fishing, caught 4 on Sun , one sat a 14 lb king. It is what it is, mine was at age 47 so I had time to do whatever. Good luck and hope you do ok.

I have a conus injury (burst fracture @ L1) from a plane crash in 05/2008. I'm 32. I do limited walking with forearms crutches and bilateral AFOs...but mostly use a wheelchair. My injury appears to be lower motor neuron...flaccid muscle paralysis and flaccid bladder/bowel. The issues of greatest concern for me are incontinence, severe neuro pain in the butt, and chronic UTIs.
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. -Mahatma Gandhi

My mother has a Cauda Equina inury from a fall (20 feet) 4 months ago. She is 58 and has L3 burst fracture. She has reduced bowel and bladder control and off late she has been complaining of pain the in the lower abdomen and pelvis area. One of her issues seems to be constipation and she is on Lactulose laxatives and some others as well. When she poops properly her pain seems to be reduced. She can walk for 5 mins very slowly with a walker but still doesn't have good strenght in her left foot and buckles sometime.

She is able to sit for only 30 mins a strecth after which she complains of back pain.

How long do you folks sit at a stretch ?

Does anyone walk without a walker ?
    Krish

www.justadollarplease.org
    "Journey of a thousand miles begins with a small step"

Quote Originally Posted by metronycguy View Post
    i have a cauda equine injury,
    sorry to hear of your injury at your age. it really botghers me to see young prople injured.
    i at least made it to my late 40's before i got hurt.
    your injury is a lot more incapacitating than mine.
    i actually can do quite a bit if i have the pain controlled and the bowels controlled.
    the bowels have been my big issue now.
    hi, what is your level of injury?

CAuda Equina since birth, was injured during delivery and not supposed to walk. Good bowell control, no bladder control, walk well just tire and get sore easily, running is problematic so i use a racing chair and try to avoid walking for hours on hard surfaces.

ALSO scuba diver and powerlifter / bodybuilder, so don't let it stop you!

B

Quote Originally Posted by cavemuscle View Post
    CAuda Equina since birth, was injured during delivery and not supposed to walk. Good bowell control, no bladder control, walk well just tire and get sore easily, running is problematic so i use a racing chair and try to avoid walking for hours on hard surfaces.

ALSO scuba diver and powerlifter / bodybuilder, so don't let it stop you!

B
    Thanks!

Does anyone have any figure estimates on the expected life expectancy of people with my kind of injury L3/L5 fractures with no bowel and bladder control?

I have the same injury too with compression fracture at L1.

I got injury in 1999 when i was second year MBBS student here in Pakistan. Unfortunately i could not continue my medical studies due to injury and some hard financial crisis at that time. All my colleagues are doctor now and living great life not only in Pakistan but in other countries too.

I have lost bowel and sexual function. Also i pass urine with catheter due to retention.

I am not happy to hear about you all friends but i will not say sorry. We have to face it now. Sorry is not answer.

God bless you all friends and have great days ahead

L1 burst fracture, have the trifecta I guess, conus, cauda equina, and spinal root damage. Had some fractures from T8 through L1.Left me S1 para complete. No feeling, paralysis from waist down in the back of my butt, legs, feet, can feel the big toe on each foot though, which allows me to walk for short distances. I use a manual chair, and power chair for long sitting, or distances. No bowel or bladder, neurogenic bladder. Six years post. Have a lot of hip, low back and foot pain. Was 23 when I got injured, just old enough to realize what a life I was living and what I had to look forward to. Then it was all taken away, but movin on in a different direction isnt so bad. Cant waist time thinking of what could have been, when we all still have so much to look forward to.