Thread: Uninsured

Uninsured

My 23-year-old nephew was injured two weeks ago (c5) and can only shrug shoulders. He has no insurance. WV Medicaid will not cover inpatient care. He is in Norfolk, VA, now, but is about ready for discharge. Any ideas about options for somebody with no money for rehab?

Blog Entries
    Hello, my 23 y/o son suffered a sci in 4-08. C5 complete. We live in md. Just next door to va. Move here. My son did not have insurance. He has md medicaid. He attends kennedy krieger for outpatient therapy 3 xs a week. They are wonderful. We also have rn.s at night so i can sleep and be awake to care for him. We have a program here called rem ( rare expensive medical ). This pays for the nurses through medicaid. Evan could only shrug his shoulders. Now he can move his arms and instead of a power w/c he can use a power assist. Therapy helps. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by auntiejo View Post
    My 23-year-old nephew was injured two weeks ago (c5) and can only shrug shoulders. He has no insurance. WV Medicaid will not cover inpatient care. He is in Norfolk, VA, now, but is about ready for discharge. Any ideas about options for somebody with no money for rehab?
    Don't listen to that baloney, call your Statehouse and do it Today!

Call the statehouse.

Call the hospital social worker.

Call a lawyer who specializes in medicaid.

We were turned down when my son was injured and had to appeal and bring a lawyer. He got approved and it was retro to the app date.

States are turning people down knowing that most people won't file an appeal. Don't hesitate.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

sideline./..legal aide is Free in every state.

I am afraid that moving to another state is actually your best advice. WVa is notorious for not paying for any inpatient rehab for their Medicaid SCI patients, and most end up in nursing homes, even at his age. You can try contacting your state legislators, but it is unlikely to make a difference unless legislation is passed, and that could take years.

(KLD)