Thread: son with what I think is CES

son with what I think is CES

My son had meningitis last Dec. He was so sick they did not think he would make it. He had a stroke on his right side. When he woke up he has dropped foot on his left side and a lot of weakness in his right leg. His arms were not weak at all. They assumed that this was from his stroke so did not do any sensory testing or anything. He also had a neurogenic bowel and bladder which they wouldn't call neurogenic because they thought it was from his stroke. It doesn't really matter but we found a different neurologist and she is starting to think his lower spinal cord was injured not that there will be anything on an MRI but that it still happened. She said that she has found a few meningitis cases that this has happened. My son has no reflexes in his legs. Loss of sensation on his butt and right thigh. Im not sure if it was worse before but I think it was. They never tested what sensation he had. He was only 7 and really sick so he wouldn't have noticed. His legs were in a lot of pain though. His anterior tibialis did not fire even with E-stim until about June. He does not wear a brace anymore and is starting to try to run. He still has bladder and bowel issues. He has to be cathed but as of April he can tell us when he needs to be and if it longer than 4 hour we just have him cath. He does it all on his own now. He seems to be recovering good. We see small improvements regularly but Im having a hard time finding other people with this type of injury. Is he doing well for how far out he is. I know that his urologist said that when his legs stop improving his bladder will too. If anyone could give me any advice that would be great. We are actually doing pretty well with a bowel program. He goes a few times a day not a lot but goes and then about twice a week we use Dulcolax orally. He seems to be doing good when we use Miralax he usually will have an accident. He has been able to tell us when it is a normal bowel movement that he has to go. that has been more recent. I would love any advice anyone has.

Hopefully one of the nurses or Dr Young will post soon - good luck with everything.

I hope one of them reply. I have been reading on here for awhile but just got up the nerve to post. I think this site is amazing.
    Thanks for posting.

When you PM'd me I didn't realize how young your son is. At this point I think his progress is very very promising. I was told 1 year would see the end of my gain and physically I definitely improved for 18+ months.

God Bless

Bill
    and you can PM me anytime

Thanks for posting. We hope he continues to recover, but I guess only time will tell. He is happy and adjusting well so that makes it better. It is great to hear that you had return 18+ months.

Please try to avoid posting duplicate threads in different forums here. I am closing this one and posting a link to the duplicate post you have already posted in the New SCI forum. It makes it easier for all to keep all the responses in one place, and saves people trying to duplicate reply:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=123177

(KLD)