Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: HELP!! I have no F#$%ing Blood Pressure!!!

I have asked Dr. Young to look at this question. It may take a few days as he is very busy.

(KLD)

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I have asked Dr. Young to look at this question. It may take a few days as he is very busy.

(KLD)
    Thanks. I'm getting disparate. I believe the Adderal might have kicked off my system with low & high extremes in BP that landed me in the ER this week-end.

MV, Try drinking more water.
    I was taking midodrine for a few years to raise my blood pressure but discovered drinking more water before I get up and before/during/after meals, any time I feel a little lethargic or light heated, h2o does the trick.
    "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~

Thanks for advice. H20 is really important.

I have tried drinking large quantities of water, but it doesn't work for me. In fact between drinking large quantities of water for my bladder and to try to increase my blood pressure, my blood sodium dropped dangerously low and my endocrinologist told me I had to cut back to no more than 1.5 to 2 liters of water instead of 2.5 to 3 or more liters a day that I was consuming.

I take Midodrine for my chronic hypotension that gets even worse after I eat (post prandial hypotension). I used to take Midodrine in combination with Florinef (Fludrocortisone), but I did not like the side effects of Florinef. Midodrine is expensive, but the side effects are minimal to none.

All the best,
    GJ

Interesting paper on hypotension - Thanks Dr. Young! I wonder if the other bladder drugs (like Vesicare) have the same link to this problem?

MV, I hope your condition gets better. You're only 2 years out so maybe it will improve soon. I had a terrible time with it for about a year and a half and then it just seemed to go away for the most part. I was told it would get better over time but I know that doesn't help you right now. I think staying active will continue to help and standing helped me I think. I couldn't get upright for quite a while without passing out (or nearly)but I just kept trying to go higher and stay up longer a little at a time and I seemed to build a tolerance for it. Make sure you have someone with you when you are trying so they can help you sit back down quickly if you need to.

Low BP and heart rate is causing more issues for me too. However, I'm incomplete and able to stand. I move around on my feet every hour or so; as much and often as I can. It doesn't really make sense. My BP also drops on a dime when eating. More so when I have trouble swallowing. Sometimes it feels like the arteries on either side of my neck are closing and I wonder if it's stroke time. Can't associate it with anything throughout the day, like getting up and down. I have not passed out, but become exhausted, almost lethargic. I have mitral valve prolapse syndrome which may contribute.

I'm curious if stress is a factor on the really bad days? The slightest amount of stress is a major symptom causer for me. Also noticed my BP dropping more frequently and more swelling in my legs and feet on warmer days.

Thanks for the thread, MVal. I hope you're doing better with this. Likewise, thanks for your input, Dr.Young.
    Incomplete, SCI, T1-T8, w/ Arachnoid Cyst. Bilateral shoulder surgeries, 2 on the left, 3 on the right, right forearm surgery for a crushed radial nerve.

"We can always choose to perceive things differently. We can focus on what's wrong in our life, or we can focus on what's right."
    — Marianne Williamson

It is not uncommon for your BP to drop some when eating since your body sends more blood to the digestive track, thus taking it away from other places. Given the inability of your body to regulate your BP as it did prior to your injury, i am not surprised that you notice the chnge.

Warmer days cause the blood vessels to dilate, thus leading to swelling in the areas of your body that are dependent, such as your feet. Usually elevating them during the day helps a little.

And stress could be a factor. Your body goes into the fight or flight response and shuttles blood to other areas to make it easier for you to move away from the danger. It can not distinguish between physical and psychological stress.

Hope that this helps aa little.

CKF

Yes, thank you! This helps me a lot! I always thought stress had something to do with the CSF pressure, but didn't know why or how. Your explanations make more sense!

For some reason, the bad things are less irritating when I understand the why's and what for's.

Thank you again, CKF.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    It is not uncommon for your BP to drop some when eating since your body sends more blood to the digestive track, thus taking it away from other places. Given the inability of your body to regulate your BP as it did prior to your injury, i am not surprised that you notice the chnge.

Warmer days cause the blood vessels to dilate, thus leading to swelling in the areas of your body that are dependent, such as your feet. Usually elevating them during the day helps a little.

And stress could be a factor. Your body goes into the fight or flight response and shuttles blood to other areas to make it easier for you to move away from the danger. It can not distinguish between physical and psychological stress.

Hope that this helps aa little.

CKF
    Last edited by Charlottes Web; 04-16-2013 at 04:35 PM. Reason: typo
    Incomplete, SCI, T1-T8, w/ Arachnoid Cyst. Bilateral shoulder surgeries, 2 on the left, 3 on the right, right forearm surgery for a crushed radial nerve.

"We can always choose to perceive things differently. We can focus on what's wrong in our life, or we can focus on what's right."
    — Marianne Williamson

No problem, that is what we are here for.
    CKF