Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: just curious to see if anyone is going back to school??

just curious to see if anyone is going back to school??

Well the fall semester of college is just about to start (if not already started.) So I have a few questions.

Whose going back to school?
    How long had you been out of school?
    How long has it been since your injury?
    how many classes are you taking?
    Living on campus or commuting?
    If on campus do you need a PCA?
    Where does your PCA stay?
    are you getting any financial help?

I'm going back this semester.
    I've been out of school for almost 2 years give or take
    About 15 months
    Just one-English
    Commuting
    Paying out on my own

I never had money to go back to school. I couldn't survieve on the money the students were getting, it is expensive to be dis. And I had to go full time too and imposseble to get a job as a disable women. I was told I could survieve as a clerk in an office.
    TH 12, 43 years post

I am in Jan 09
    graduated in 06
    8 years
    commute
    no,
    when i did, she only meet me at particular hours. rest, i got volunteers from my class to help
    in canada, there r some grants. however, I still ended up with over $18000 in student loans.
    "Always look at the bright side of life...."

Yes me
    Taking 5 classes getting a Masters degree (it's going to be hard this semester)
    I took some classes over the past year. Before that I was in school in 2000. 4 years post accident
    Voc Rehab is footing my bill
    I commute for 2 classes the rest are online, I'm a para no PCA needed
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

tried back in 92 or 93
    89 was injured in 91
    took 4 classes all i had to pay was 20.00 a class but i only lasted a month i was more worried about hitting the nightclubs and picking up women and was to hung over to go.
    i drove when i woke up sober enough. to do over again i would have went to class and got a law degree but i was 21 and dumb.
    good luck!
    Street Dreamz c.c. maryland

Quote Originally Posted by cripple4life View Post
    tried back in 92 or 93
    89 was injured in 91
    took 4 classes all i had to pay was 20.00 a class but i only lasted a month i was more worried about hitting the nightclubs and picking up women and was to hung over to go.
    i drove when i woke up sober enough. to do over again i would have went to class and got a law degree but i was 21 and dumb.
    good luck!
    Whose going back to school? YES ME!

How long had you been out of school? well i was away after my accident on 2002 but since 2004 fulltime (2003 part time)

How long has it been since your injury? 7 yrs

how many classes are you taking? 5

Living on campus or commuting? commute (drive)

If on campus do you need a PCA? n/a

Where does your PCA stay? n/a

Yup..student loan..and disability benefit

I'm teaching 4 classes (2 Internet and two in the classroom) and working on my dissertation.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey5774 View Post
    Well the fall semester of college is just about to start (if not already started.) So I have a few questions.

I'm going back this semester.
    I've been out of school for almost 2 years give or take
    About 15 months
    Just one-English
    Commuting
    Paying out on my own

1. I am in school
    2. There was never a break in my schooling just needed to switch and figure out what I could study.
    3. I will be six yrs post Jan 2010.
    4. I am taking way to many classes , I think last I counted 10 for a total of 17 credit hours.
    5. Commute
    6. No PCA
    7. I have student loans, scholarships, grants, etc. I am still waiting to hear back from VR for the last two years since my loans are maxed out due to having to change career paths after my injury.

Becky
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

Wink Fall Semester 2009

My daughter has been in college since before and after her injury c5 c6 (2007). Started out in 2007 taking online courses part time. Then she went full time 2008. Never had an attendant or note taker. Asks a student for some help getting her laptop setup on her lap and putting away in backpack. I meet her for lunch on campus and stay at the campus b/c she still hasn't been funded for her modifications for vehicle. She goes Mon-Thurs. and some night courses. I can't wait. We start back tomorrow 8/24.
    Aggie Mom 2007

Whose going back to school? I go to school at Colorado State University
    How long had you been out of school? Injured in the fall of 2004 but went back to school in the fall of 2005
    How long has it been since your injury? Almost 5 years now
    how many classes are you taking? I have always gone to school full-time, currently taking four classes
    Living on campus or commuting? Lived on campus for two years and currently wheel a mile to school each day
    If on campus do you need a PCA? I hire students to work for me which has been wonderful, never have a problem getting another PCA if I ever need one
    Where does your PCA stay? They live around town
    are you getting any financial help? I have scholarships through CSU and Swim with Mike

Going back to school is one of the best things you can do as an individual with an SCI. If you need to start slow, just take a class or two to get into the swing of things. Most likely, your college or university has a disabled students organization on campus which can point you in the best direction. I have found that the most difficult thing is finding accessible housing off campus. However, CSU has been wonderful and modified a school owned apartment for my roommates and I. They also set up a door at every classroom building on campus as well as at my apartment which I am able to open. Very accommodating. Good luck!
    Frankly, I'm tired of sitting in this damn electric chair.

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.