Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is a descent wage for attendant Care?

Quote Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
    $8.00 - $8.50

Depends on work hx related to your needs. Lots of people in need of work. Check references and be careful.
    Do you actually find PCAs for that kind of wage in CA? We don't. We pay those with no previous experience who don't do bowel and bladder care starting at $12/hour, going up to $16/hour for those who have a lot of experience and do bowel/bladder (that include the attendant who has been working for my mother for 9 years now).

Even IHSS pays $8.75/hour in my area, but it is hard to find people who take that kind of money considering you are not providing any benefits at all.

(KLD)

I just use a PA for an hour or hour and a half 2-3 times a week. Agencies here start people at about $9.00. Agency PAs do not work in my situation because agencies have a minimum charge for 3-4 hours. Moreover, they charge $20-$25 but pay the PAs $9. I start my PAs at $12, but pay $18 minimum for the first hour even if the actual time is less than an hour. Any time over an hour is then paid at $3 for each 15 minutes. I do this because they do spend time commuting.

I try to get people who are working in hospitals, and other places who are looking to supplement their income. They have had background checks and experience. Still, there is a constant turnover and I am constantly recruiting. Advertising is the worst way to get people here in the city. You get all the addicts and alcoholics that have been fired by HC facilities/agencies. The nearby VA has a shortage of nurse techs because most of the applicants fail the required drug test. Sad.

Even in this time when the unemployment rate is 12 percent around here, I have not been able to find someone to wash and wax my van for $60...not even a teenager. To do a good job it takes about 4 hours.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    I just use a PA for an hour or hour and a half 2-3 times a week. Agencies here start people at about $9.00. Agency PAs do not work in my situation because agencies have a minimum charge for 3-4 hours. Moreover, they charge $20-$25 but pay the PAs $9. I start my PAs at $12, but pay $18 minimum for the first hour even if the actual time is less than an hour. Any time over an hour is then paid at $3 for each 15 minutes. I do this because they do spend time commuting.

I try to get people who are working in hospitals, and other places who are looking to supplement their income. They have had background checks and experience. Still, there is a constant turnover and I am constantly recruiting. Advertising is the worst way to get people here in the city. You get all the addicts and alcoholics that have been fired by HC facilities/agencies. The nearby VA has a shortage of nurse techs because most of the applicants fail the required drug test. Sad.

Even in this time when the unemployment rate is 12 percent around here, I have not been able to find someone to wash and wax my van for $60...not even a teenager. To do a good job it takes about 4 hours.
    In Texas depending on what program you are on if you are on one. You can opt to bypass the agency by getting on CDS and pay them more money. If you are able to hire someone and do the required checking & complete the application then why have an agency?
    That's more money going directly for caregivers and not an agencies bottom line.
    One can find someone for less money but in most cases the more you pay the better caregiver you will get. They will feel more appreciated and stay longer in most cases. NOT ALL CASES!!! but most. Not all people care to work in a hospital or instituton it can be very demanding because of the patient to caregiver ratio.
    I am glad I do not have to pay 18.00 to 22.00 per hour to find a decent caregiver. That must be one heck of a caregiver.
    It is a shame most do fail drug test. Also you have to watch your medications if you have them. Just because a person passes a UA or background does not mean they will not steal. Sometimes it can be hard to find a good PCA no matter what you do. You just do not give up.

Thanks,

David
    Last edited by reedyd; 08-24-2009 at 07:41 PM.