Thread: Info needed

Info needed

Has anyone had botox injected in there legs to alleviate extreme stiffness?

I have crazy spasms that knock me on the ground on a regular basis. I get botox injections roughtly every 3 months for this problem. I've tried all the spasm meds and am currently on zanaflex. The botox does help and the effects last for a couple months.

There are several different postings on the use of botox - although none that is specifically relating to lower extremity spasticity. There are many pluses to botox, but also the caution that the botox can effect other muscles too. I would encourage you to speak with your doctor about it and see if he/she can recommend someone that would be willing to evaluate you if you are interested in pursuing this option.

CKF

Info Needed

I just started seeing a new physical therapist yesterday, she mentioned botox might be a possibility to aleviate spasms and stiffness. My left leg will just lock up when it wants, which is extremely painful.. I am currently taking dantrium 3 times a day. I have been on zanaflex, bacoflen and neurotin in the past, but dantrium is the only med that keeps the spasm level down . I will see my doctor next week, he feels my pain is from lack of use of my legs, I can walk with a walker some and a quad cane, but the spasms and pain are unbearable after a few minutes so I retreat to my chair. This has been going on for 8 years now.

The botox injections generally work for about 2-4 months so it might be worth a try. The worst things that can happen is that you will have no response or that nearby muscles may become temporarily weak. The good thing about botox is that it is temporary.

CKF

Info needed

Thank you

I had quit a few injections 3 yrs post sci and all it did was leave my legs flabby. No muscle tone.
    Mary
    I want to Rock you Gypsy soul and together we will flow into the Mystic.
    Van Morrison

Mary's experience is not always the case, but certainly can happen.

I still think that everyone responds differently and there have been a lot of people who have been helped by botox. Think about it and weigh the pro's and con's.

CKF