Thread: Has anyone have a One-Off Handcycle?

Has anyone have a One-Off Handcycle?

I am looking to get one and was hoping some people here have them and could tell me a bit more about them.

Biggest question, how does it do on sand? Like if you were to ride it on a beach?

Second is what happens when you tip over, how do you get back upright?

Transfers are hard enough from a wheelchair to get in one, how would you do it from the ground?

About what top speed can you get if your on a paved road?

Thanks very much for any information and any information that might be helful to me.

Don K.

check out the one-off thread........also, many pics on my blog link below. Steve.

looked and searched

Thanks for the link, I have gone through the site, read those posts and read your site. But, suprisingly, noone on here can answer my questions so far. I spoke with Mike A. and he had no clue how it worked in the sand. Has anyone actually ridden it offroad, or just on bike trails? Thanks in advance for anyinformation you can provide me. Don K.

Quote Originally Posted by normalcy View Post
    Thanks for the link, I have gone through the site, read those posts and read your site. But, suprisingly, noone on here can answer my questions so far. I spoke with Mike A. and he had no clue how it worked in the sand. Has anyone actually ridden it offroad, or just on bike trails? Thanks in advance for anyinformation you can provide me. Don K.
    i've ridden it in the sand in the desert. i've also ridden my ye olde 2-wheel bike in the ocean, and the next day nothing worked on it at all........the one-off spreads your weight over a larger surface area then a 2-wheel bike. i'd try the biggest tires you can fit, like the 18" x 2.5 {actually more like a 3.0"} fronts & a 3" rear. endless drift sand - no way. 6-10" of sand with a firm underlayer, yep, but very tiring. wet tidal sand, probally really well. bicycles sure do. i often ride mine straight through the forest if that's the best line.......hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    i've ridden it in the sand in the desert. i've also ridden my ye olde 2-wheel bike in the ocean, and the next day nothing worked on it at all........the one-off spreads your weight over a larger surface area then a 2-wheel bike. i'd try the biggest tires you can fit, like the 18" x 2.5 {actually more like a 3.0"} fronts & a 3" rear. endless drift sand - no way. 6-10" of sand with a firm underlayer, yep, but very tiring. wet tidal sand, probally really well. bicycles sure do. i often ride mine straight through the forest if that's the best line.......hope that helps!
    Thanks! I went ahead and ordered 1. Only problem is there is a 5 month wait now, which sucks. I test drove one that he had, it is definetly different to sit in. Made me realyze that I need to stretch my legs more in different directions. He will build it with 24" rear with thick tire, he doesnt build them anymore with the small 18.5 rear. And will use 2.5 20" fronts...now I wait....and wait.....and wait...

Don K.

Quote Originally Posted by normalcy View Post
    Thanks! I went ahead and ordered 1. Only problem is there is a 5 month wait now, which sucks. I test drove one that he had, it is definetly different to sit in. Made me realyze that I need to stretch my legs more in different directions. He will build it with 24" rear with thick tire, he doesnt build them anymore with the small 18.5 rear. And will use 2.5 20" fronts...now I wait....and wait.....and wait...

Don K.
    good for you!!!! you will enjoy it. i didn't realise how stiff i was until i got in mine, either. it huuurt. i would reccomend stretching in the kneeling position while you wait. now, it's the most comfortable position for me of anything. i give the one-off credit for return on many parts of my body that were not getting used. now, i can raise myself into a kneeling position - get my ass off the seat - when i started i could not. plus, my upper body is ripped & the exercise battles my pain & helps me sleep peacefully. looking forward to seeing your posts in the "exercise" thread - Steve.