Thread: swaping manual car seat for power seat?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

swaping manual car seat for power seat?

Hey gang...I was wondering if any of you have ever had to swap a manual seat for a power seat in a 2 door car (not van)? I'm a T-8 Para.

The reason that I ask....I'm in the market for a new car...my current car (2002 Grand Am) is getting up there (82K miles)...and I wanted a new car before stuff starts going wrong with it.

The way I get in/out of my car is that I have a Quickie 2 (folding style)...it folds up, and move my power seat all the way forward...and slide the wheelchair behind me.

But, I'm wondering if there is a better option out there....I know I've seen some people "take apart" their wheelchairs like in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa0sFSWJ7DM

But, I'm not looking in that direction....any help would be appreciate...

thanks,

Kovyfan
    Last edited by kovyfan1127; 08-17-2009 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kovyfan1127 View Post
    Hey gang...I was wondering if any of you have ever had to swap a manual seat for a power seat in a 2 door car (not van)? I'm a T-8 Para.

The reason that I ask....I'm in the market for a new car...my current car (2002 Grand Am) is getting up there (82K miles)...and I wanted a new car before stuff starts going wrong with it.

The way I get in/out of my car is that I have a Quickie 2 (folding style)...it folds up, and move my power seat all the way forward...and slide the wheelchair behind me.

But, I'm wondering if there is a better option out there....I know I've seen some people "take apart" their wheelchairs like in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa0sFSWJ7DM

But, I'm not looking in that direction....any help would be appreciate...

thanks,

Kovyfan
    I like the seats that have a power back and forth, manual recline.

Example:

I can't slide a manual seat back and forth that well and most power
    reclining seats are really slow.

My current car has an 8 way power seat, but I plan on buying a
    base model replacement with just power back and forth.

I also disassemble my chair, recline my seat flat, and pull the chair in over
    me and into the backseat.
    Last edited by Buck503; 08-17-2009 at 08:21 PM.

im T5-6 para and have power seat on my car. its so slow. i like the idea buck has power forward and back and manual up and down. that would be great, didnt know you could get that. i also have a ridgid chair i take apart and put in the back seat. it takes longer for the seat to recline than it does for me to put everything inside. really sucks when its raining.

Quote Originally Posted by dewitt1012 View Post
    im T5-6 para and have power seat on my car. its so slow. i like the idea buck has power forward and back and manual up and down. that would be great, didnt know you could get that. i also have a ridgid chair i take apart and put in the back seat. it takes longer for the seat to recline than it does for me to put everything inside. really sucks when its raining.
    Yeah. Almost all cars have a base model that came with a manual
    reclining seat that will swap right in.

Hey Kovyfan,

Up until last month, I had a car (two door) with the memory seat buttons on the door. I would set the 1st button to my driving position. The second button was set to pull the chair forward so I could pull my folding chair behind my seat. When I first got the car, I realized that my chair was still a little thick. To compensate for this, I had the shop (http://www.citypaper.com/special/story.asp?id=11845) that did my hand control install move my drivers seat forward about an 1.5 inches.
    This shop not only does hand controls, but they specialize in upholstery and all kinds of mods for vehicles. I know Pittsburgh is nowhere near close to Baltimore, but if you can't find what you need locally come down and I'll hook up with Klein.
    On a related topic, I was going to (and probably still will) create a post asking if anyone is familiar with relocating the levers for the passenger's power seat to a more convenient location? I now have four door and the transition from stowing my chair behind me to pulling it over me and putting it in back was easier than I thought. The only real issue I have is that it's hard to reach the passenger seat controls to move that seat forward for clearance. The guy who is building my car pc said he could do it with no problem, but the cheapster in me is hoping to find a less expensive work around.

Quote Originally Posted by ema View Post

Thanks for the idea. Kind of thinking about that as well. The power seat requires less effort but it is really slow.

mike...what is the name? the link doesn't work for me?

thanks!!!

Not sure why the link didn't work. Maybe I did something wrong. But here is the link to article again in case you want to read about him.

http://www.citypaper.com/special/story.asp?id=11845

But the shop is named Klein Auto.
    2720 Sisson St
    Baltimore, MD 21211-3006

(410) 467-0400‎

Google Map with Street View

I use a manual split benck seat and pull my chair in behind the passenger side, also transfer from passenger side. Works well for me but everyone is different.
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!