Thread: Cervical collar advice

Blog Entries

Cervical collar advice

So my cervical cord is really vulnerable to injury, and I need a collar to wear during transfers and when riding in a vehicle. All of the ones that I've gotten are too big and ponderous, totally immobilizing (though my neck still moves inside of it) and screw up my speaking and breathing. I suppose I could explore children's collars, but I would love to have my orthotist just make me one that works well for me -- keeps me, particularly, from extending or doing a whiplash motion, but is comfortable and doesn't strangle me or otherwise shut me down. I'm thinking something with vertical ribs only, lets me turn my head side to side but otherwise stabilizes me front to back.

Does anyone have any advice on what this might be called, if something like it already exists, how I best could describe it to the orthotist, how I should have my doctor write the prescription?

Your Casework should be involve. Your rehab center/personnel/ therapist should also be involve. I got to take charge and request things for your needs. GL
    coolbreeze c6/7

Keep on moving don't stop!

I am not clear why you need to wear a cervical collar so long post injury?

If you really need one, a Philadelphia collar or Aspen collar are the most comfortable, but they will all restrict some rotation in addition to flexion and extension. They come in many sizes, so orthotists just need to fit you to the right one, not make something custom. Wearing one long term can actually weaken your neck muscles, and skin problems underneath are common.

(KLD)

I wouldn;t think you'd want to drive wearing a collar. I question the safety factor.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I am not clear why you need to wear a cervical collar so long post injury?
    (KLD)
    It's a long story I would happily share with you privately but would prefer not to unload here. But I recently was reinjured riding in a van with no shocks that hit a bump, so I really need to be careful. I would not wear it except for when I'm in a vehhicle or getting a transfer from someone I'm not sure about. When I finally get to driving, I'll see what things feel like. Seeing the orthotist September 1.