Thread: Diagnosing syringomyelia

Diagnosing syringomyelia

Hi,

How can syringomyelia be diagnosed without taking a MRI-scan?

(Searching for a cause of my autnomic dysreflexia...I don't have change in movement, sensation or pain. I only have inceased AD without any obvious reasons and do not may have a MRI scan because of the electrodes of my diaphragm pacemaking)

Thanks for the information!
    rh

You could see it on a CT scan or lumbar myelogram.
    Have other potential cause so fAD been ruled out ? i.e . UTI, pressure ulcer?

CWO

Mine only showed as a 'suspcion' of an abnormality on an MRI way back in 1985. Most docs and people w/ SCI's had mostly never heard of a syrnix and MRI's were pretty new. I went to 5 major teaching medical centers. Finally at Duke they also did a level by level cat scan w/ contrast dye. There was a huge syrnix from C-3 down to T-10. My original injury shattered C-5 and 6. I had had an anterior fusion using hip bone to fuse the spine at NYU. I rernember watching while bring tilted, spinal fluid moving through an unobstructed canal post the origional surgery in 1970. it sure was different in 85. I had been in another auto accident cracking my elbow and getting whiplash.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    You could see it on a CT scan or lumbar myelogram.
    Have other potential cause so fAD been ruled out ? i.e . UTI, pressure ulcer?

CWO
    I agree... thoracic/cervical myelogram by femoral aproach. Best done at large teaching hospital. Best of luck.