Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quad belly....

quad belly....

any exercise I can do to make my belly smaller?
    its gettin huge!
    Blah

stand and build your upper body bigger then gut looks smaller. it is your guts not fat brooks.
    standing pushes everything back in.

focus on getting stronger, pushing a manual, and transfering.

a quad gut is part of being a quad for 90% of us, unless someone is a little scronny guy, then that brings bigger problerms.
    Last edited by fuentejps; 02-18-2006 at 04:05 PM.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by abrooks311
    any exercise I can do to make my belly smaller?
    its gettin huge!
    Below, I have copied and pasted CARBAR's contribution to how overcome this challenge. Fuente makes a good point and that, along with the following tip, can help. For what it's worth, I am also at your level of injury and even though not two injuries are alike, I am able to do what CARBAR (who is actually a para) suggested with a slight variation. Mine involves holding my hands in front of me instead of what he's suggesting which involves raising your arms behind your head. I just started doing this and every night and morning when I'm in bed, I do five sets of 50 slowly. I work at not using my momentum to carry me so I make full stops and as much as possible, when I attempt at leaning forward, I try to hold it for as long as I can even if it seems like one to two seconds. I told myself I'll do this for the next 2-3 months and see what happens. Measure your waist around your quad belly before you start and see if it makes any difference. Even if it doesn't, it gets your heart rate up there and that's always a good thing to get your heart some exercise.

Carbar, thanks for your tip.

Reason to be cheerful:

Belly is going down!
    Since the beginning of this year, I have been doing crunches (in the broadest meaning of the word) and it looks like they are paying off because my belly is definitely much tidier. Maybe I am eating a little less too, but no major change.
    Each morning I lie on my bed, with lower legs dangling over the side. I raise my arms behind my head and then swing forward. When I first started (am T4 complete, no feeling/action below armpits) I was just about lifting my head and my neck seemed to do most of the work, but as the weeks go on I am lifting more and more of my body and can really feel the pull down my torso. I do 4 lots of 10 crunches each morning.
    If I put my hands behind my head and try the same, of course I don't get as much of a lift - the momentum of my arms thrusting forward is totally necessary to get real movement. Still, the result is what counts and there is definitely a result. If it continues and I have a belly to be proud of, maybe I'll post a pic!!

Quote Originally Posted by felieh
    Below, I have copied and pasted CARBAR's contribution to how overcome this challenge. Fuente makes a good point and that, along with the following tip, can help. For what it's worth, I am also at your level of injury and even though not two injuries are alike, I am able to do what CARBAR (who is actually a para) suggested with a slight variation. Mine involves holding my hands in front of me instead of what he's suggesting which involves raising your arms behind your head. I just started doing this and every night and morning when I'm in bed, I do five sets of 50 slowly. I work at not using my momentum to carry me so I make full stops and as much as possible, when I attempt at leaning forward, I try to hold it for as long as I can even if it seems like one to two seconds. I told myself I'll do this for the next 2-3 months and see what happens. Measure your waist around your quad belly before you start and see if it makes any difference. Even if it doesn't, it gets your heart rate up there and that's always a good thing to get your heart some exercise.

Carbar, thanks for your tip.

Reason to be cheerful:

Belly is going down!
    Since the beginning of this year, I have been doing crunches (in the broadest meaning of the word) and it looks like they are paying off because my belly is definitely much tidier. Maybe I am eating a little less too, but no major change.
    Each morning I lie on my bed, with lower legs dangling over the side. I raise my arms behind my head and then swing forward. When I first started (am T4 complete, no feeling/action below armpits) I was just about lifting my head and my neck seemed to do most of the work, but as the weeks go on I am lifting more and more of my body and can really feel the pull down my torso. I do 4 lots of 10 crunches each morning.
    If I put my hands behind my head and try the same, of course I don't get as much of a lift - the momentum of my arms thrusting forward is totally necessary to get real movement. Still, the result is what counts and there is definitely a result. If it continues and I have a belly to be proud of, maybe I'll post a pic!!

RESULTS AFTER TWO MONTHS
    Well, it's been disappointing thus far. I do this twice a day, each time three sets of 50. There's been no change in my quad belly. I can't really tell if there are any decent contractions of my abs. I wonder if I need to pay more attention to what I eat. It's not like I eat any junk but I do eat my fair share of bread, pasta and rice though, overall, it is a balanced diet.

I've been wondering if I should go ahead and invest in a personal trainer.

Anyone else with better results?

The problem is, the muscles that hold the organs in place get stretched from all the sitting. The result of which is pretty much irreversable. What you're left with is pretty much preventative maintainence in the form of ab binders, stim machines, and of course...lot of standing in the frame.

like fuente says....

i thinkbein scrawny makes things worse on ya. last year i hardly ate anything an what i did eat wasn't very nutricious. my belly was lookin good but my back hurt a lot an it seemed like my balance was really bad. since the first of this year i've been eatin good and have got the lil belly goin on but it really seems to help my balance to have something down there to kinda lean on,lol.

i remember in thread awhile back where someone said fuente had an anti-tipper belly. thats what i like to call mine so i just don't feel fat, hahaha.

Some newly injured guy I met in rehab one time was bound and determined he wasn't going to get what he was calling a "potter gutter". 15 years later I have to wonder how big it is now.

ITS INEVITABLE(sp).
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quad Belly What I do

I am a C5-C6 complete 6'2" 210 lbs 25+ years post injury and have a normal looking belly. I quit wearing a binder about five years after my injury, I eat a low carb, low fat, no sugar, no beer diet and get some exercise. I do about 2 1/2 miles on my arm cycle (45 minutes) 5 days a week. In use a Moto Med passive electric leg exerciser for at least 45 minutes every day and have set up a crunch exercise with Theraband attached to the wall behind me with which I do 1000 stomach crunches a day.

Don't get me wrong I am a quad and I do not have a six pack, I call it my twelve pack but I do not have the oversized keg of beer looking quad belly. One more thing I do is during the day is suck in or tighten my stomach muscles for about 15 seconds and release them you can do this any time while watching tv or what ever. I hope this helps....

One more thing I do is during the day is suck in or tighten my stomach muscles for about 15 seconds and release them you can do this any time while watching tv or what ever.
    Darty, when i had no return back and functioned as a complete, i was unable to tigthen or suck in my stomach.

Even right now i can't tighten my stomach on both sides, only on my right and its very little.

Just amazed at ur level and ur complete u can do that,
    The only reason i have my abs is from preserving the muscle i had before the accident with e-stim, and staying on a low fat diet.

Can a complete respond to e-stim?
    Last edited by mr_coffee; 04-17-2006 at 12:44 PM.
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home