Thread: Spasm or not to spasm - do spasms in the LE's

Question Spasm or not to spasm - do spasms in the LE's

help stop blood clots and maintain tone? I would think yes. If true spasms or beneficial?
    Lynarrd Skynyrd Lives

Yes, spasticity and spasms can be beneficial as long as they don't interfere with function, safety or hygiene. They can help reduce the risks for blood clots in the legs, maintain muscle bulk (for padding and appearance), burn calories, aid in mobility (for some), and help serve as a warning sign (if suddenly worse) that something is wrong that needs to be investigated.

(KLD)

spasms are very good
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I have had hypotension ever since my injury. Lower extremity and abdominal spasms help to bring my blood pressure up when it is getting noticeably low. I can move my leg or shift my body to induce them when needed.

The only time I have found them to be a problem is when recovering from abdominal or lower extremity surgery. They could cause the incision to pull open.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Yes, spasticity and spasms can be beneficial as long as they don't interfere with function, safety or hygiene. They can help reduce the risks for blood clots in the legs, maintain muscle bulk (for padding and appearance), burn calories, aid in mobility (for some), and help serve as a warning sign (if suddenly worse) that something is wrong that needs to be investigated.

(KLD)
    Completely agree on all accounts. Controlable spasms do a body good!
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein