Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tampon usage for incomplete quads w/ sensation?

Banned

Tampon usage for incomplete quads w/ sensation?

So I was blessed with a lot of sensation after my accident, and I can tell if something is bothering my body. Is it wise to use them? Or does it come with the same risk as a walking person. I hate pads and I starting school Monday, and I will be cathing some days at school. I figure tampons would be easier and cleaner then a pad? Thank you for the input!!!

I have been using it my whole life and never heard it was dangerous
    TH 12, 43 years post

Just as with an able bodied woman, you should change tampons every 4-6 hours to avoid risks for toxic shock. I find that they are actually better if you can use them for most women with SCI as pads (esp. maxi-sized ones) can cause problems with skin. I do know some women who choose to use an adult diaper for their periods because they can change these themselves, and cannot do so with the tampons, or find tampons uncomfortable or even cause AD. Some have chosen to use Instead menstrual cup instead (although they are hard to find in stores now days). It is very individual and you have to find what works for you.

(KLD)

Banned
    thank u

I get slight ad more from pads then tampons.

I prefer to use pads or a pair of protective underwear during my period, due ot it being so heavy and lasting so long (8 days a month). I seem to get bad cramps whenever I use tampons.

Jessie
    (hereditary spastic paraparesis and L-4 SCI)

Years ago when first injured I had no idea if I should use Tampax either. A good friend of mine knew I was too embarrassed to ask the doc at the SCI center so she asked for me. He told me he would much prefer me using Tampax instead of pads because you are not sitting on a wet crinkled mass of paper. It is much cleaner to me too, an added plus. So, I am now a post-menopausal woman (yay!!!), but for all those years I used Tampax with no problems.

I use tampons and have no problems. I am a t-6 so I am on the line of AD. and go get it with my bladder. and A tiny bit with my period. I find it a lot cleaner and better for me to use a tampon. Haven't had any problems with it!
    I have more to claim.
    I have to fight through the hard places
    to go and get it!

most recent video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHLEinnhYtg

I use tampons with a pull up during my PMS time, cleaner and just in case. ADs are common but not severe. I did school (university) for 3 years and it worked out great.
    "Always look at the bright side of life...."

I have always used tampons - pre and post SCI. I'm a c5/6 incomplete - I don't really ever get AD from anything and I have no complaints about using tampons post sci.