Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quickie XTR DISCONTINUED

Quickie XTR DISCONTINUED

Has Quickie lost their minds? Why in the world would they discontinue the XTR? I got this straight from Sunrise Medical, and I still can't believe it.
    I asked about another model with suspension, and they told me the GTI can be ordered with front and rear suspension...sort of. It uses the Frog Legs on the front and similar polymer cushsions for the rear axle. I don't think so. Those polymer bushings can't take the same shock absorbing punishment the Rock Shock takes on the XTR. Can you adjust a "bushing" like you can the Rock Shock? No, I didn't think so.

Oh, thank you for letting me vent.
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

The performance frame version of the aluminum Quickie GT now has the XTR Rock Shox suspension.

The XTR was a heavy beast...and I think they could do a lot better using the same idea to build another lighterweight chair to accomplish the same things.

My thought - goodbye XTR and do not let the door hit you on the way out!
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

While mine served me fairly well I was in no way tempted to get another heavy XTR.

I don't have time to look it up but there was a link to a magazine article that someone posted awhile back about the guy who designed the XTR and his new designs for another company. In it it says that he originally designed the XTR as a much lighter chair but the Quickie higher ups wanted it to be easier to build and increase the range of rider sizes the chair could handle so they bulked it up and lost all the elegance of is original design.

Here is another option if you want rear suspension (I think the guy I just mentioned had a role in this design as well):
    http://www.kuschallna.com/index.php?...d=55&Itemid=82

Marvel has the best suspension. Coil over oil shocks are old tech, and aren't as good as air shock. Preload, compression and rebound dampening are a must in order to dial in suspension. The XTR only has/had preload adjustments. Hopefully the guys at Sunrise chose a better shock this time around!

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Never tried one, but Per4Max makes an XTR-like suspension chair called the Shockwave.

(Anyone, What's the trick for getting multiple photos to appear in a post -- that is, not clickable attachments?)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    While mine served me fairly well I was in no way tempted to get another heavy XTR.

I don't have time to look it up but there was a link to a magazine article that someone posted awhile back about the guy who designed the XTR and his new designs for another company. In it it says that he originally designed the XTR as a much lighter chair but the Quickie higher ups wanted it to be easier to build and increase the range of rider sizes the chair could handle so they bulked it up and lost all the elegance of is original design.

Here is another option if you want rear suspension (I think the guy I just mentioned had a role in this design as well):
    http://www.kuschallna.com/index.php?...d=55&Itemid=82
    Kuschall R33 (suspension chair)...base $4100. WTH, is it made of gold? I can't justify spending that kinda of $$, even if it isn't my $$.
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    (Anyone, What's the trick for getting multiple photos to appear in a post -- that is, not clickable attachments?)
    When you upload from your computer, if you only upload 1, it will auto-show in a post. When you load multiples, they show as click links.

You have to link from other websites to get multiple pics to auto-show in a single post.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Another chair with suspension is Boing from Colours:

Quote Originally Posted by WheelieMike View Post
    Kuschall R33 (suspension chair)...base $4100. WTH, is it made of gold? I can't justify spending that kinda of $$, even if it isn't my $$.
    And too boot, the R33 I rode at Abilities 2k8 was a simple spring, not a genuine suspension. Same thing for the Boing. Springs aren't suspension, technically. They are springs. A suspension requires some medium for the spring to 'run through' in order to translate the down force from the seat into heat. A spring simply bounces up and down until the energy is gone, it doesn't "absorb" it. Food for thought!

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.