Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Julay Bug came and left cali! Most amazing 9 days ever!

Talking Julay Bug came and left cali! Most amazing 9 days ever!

Wow where to start! Day 1 sounds like a good place.

Day 1 (Friday Night):

The day seemed to go on forever and right when I thought I was going to see her she got delayed in Denver! Julie didn't end up getting in until around midnight I think. I felt bad because I know I hate it when that happens, airports aren’t the best places to keep yourself busy.

Finally the time came to pick my muffin up! I couldn't find parking near by but as soon as she texted me and asked me where I was at, I said EFF it and I jumped out of the car into my wheelchair accidently leaving my car ON with windows down. Note to self, don’t do that.

She came up behind me and covered my eyes and I was most excited because I knew it was my canyahdian princess! It felt like I haven’t seen her in forever even though it was only 3 months. We waited for her bags and I realized oh shit, my car is still on and unlocked. I told her my car might get towed and as we get out of the terminal there is a guy writing me up a ticket. FML.

Turns out an unattended car when it’s still running is considered a bomb threat when you’re at an airport. News to me! I told him the situation and he said I'll let you go with a warning. I knew when he saw me rolling up with a purse on me he would give in

We made the trip back to the house and were super exhausted so we just had some wine and got ready for the next day!

Day 2 (Saturday):
    I planned a surprise for julay so it was killing me not to tell her about it! We woke up and headed for the beach with the roommates. We stayed there for a few hours enjoying the sun and julie got a taste of the ocean!

For some advice for the quad/para walkers, increase your crutch height and if you have an afo/kafo or whatever wear it! The first time we went to the beach I couldn't really go out that far because the sand was a killer. But the second time we went I increased my crutch height and wore my afo and it was pretty easy going through the sand to find a spot.

So after the beach we headed back home to change and then off to the surprise! I booked a dinner cruise with champagne and fireworks at the end! There also was dancing but I'm not the best of dancers anymore The greeter asked so what’s the occasion and we just said life in general!

It was pretty fun because we both never went on such a big ship before and the layout of the whole place was very nice. It was really cool how people were more than willing to help me get up the stairs at the end of the night to watch the fireworks on top of the boat. I didn't need any help but we had a good crowd watching me climb up and down the stairs as well as julie ready to catch me if I fell

Day 3 (Sunday):

We took it easy because we knew we were going to be heading to Catalina island the next morning nice and early. So the day started out pretty normal, wake up, shower, get some food, and go shopping!

Then it started getting late and we had to be in long beach at 8:30am we thought, but really we had to be there around 7:30am because we needed to get there an hour before departure. But with traffic it could take 2 hours or more to get to long beach so that meant we would have to wake up even earlier.

So now we are getting a little worried about the lack of sleep and said let’s just drive up there tonight! After dealing with a little drama with my roommates fighting about the air conditioning we finally got out of there. Everything was fine and dandy until we came to a complete stop on the highway. There must have been a big wreck or people were doing construction but the highway was not moving at all. We kept it together and Julie directed us to freedom!

We ended up getting to long beach around 3:40am and going to bed around 4:00ish and having to wake up at 6:30am. Needless to say when we got to Catalina island we were totally beat but that didn't stop us.

Day 4 (Monday):
    So we made it to Catalina island! The boat ride towards the end was making us both a little sick because the waves were a little rough. We did get to see some dolphins though which was MAGICAL.

Once we got to the island we got a little bit of energy and we rented a golf cart for 3 hours. Julie was the driver, I was supposed to navigate. So I’m already horrible with directions and when you add very little sleep basically all I can do is make noises and giggle. We also spent an hour searching for a hotel that totally wasn’t the hotel I booked a reservation for so that was a treat. We still managed to not kill each other with no sleep and with such a mix up, so that was a good sign

We finally found the place I did book and it was a pretty nice room with an amazing bathroom! Problem is we couldn’t take a nap in the hotel until 3:00pm (the check in time). So we kept ourselves busy with exploring the area and getting some food by the beach.

As we are joking about scuba diving I realized I forgot my medical papers at my house in san marcos! I was super bummed because I spent 3 months planning this scuba dive and this piece of paper kept me from doing it!

Basically the guy said I need the papers and if we faxed them by today we can go tomorrow early in the morning. I knew I could go scuba diving anytime I wanted but this trip was really for Julie so I asked her what she wanted.

We decided we could go snorkelling instead. It turned out to be SO much fun. Julie has pictures of the snorkelling adventure. It was really nice to have someone like Julie there to support me and say hey, we are going to get down to the water either way! There was about 20 wood steps and a few rock steps to get down to the water. The problem was the tide was actually pretty rough and it wasn’t sand once you got down the steps it was lose rocks!
    So once I got down to the water’s edge we were trying to figure out how I was going to get in deep enough to float. Out of luck an awesome guy named Mike I believe said hey there, you need some help getting out there? We both said YES! So I wrapped my arms around Julie and Mike and they dragged me out to the deeper waters where I could float.
    At first I was scared because I never did it before and I knew I could swim under water but I can’t stay above water when I swam in a pool (I sink like a rock) but the wet suite really makes you float super easy.

So at the start Julie hung onto my arm as I floated around like a small child but once I got the hang of it I went off on my own and it was a super time! The fish were so well fed they would come right up to you and have a taste.

We are going to save scuba diving for the next time she comes down! I honestly felt snorkelling was scarier at first than scuba diving mainly because I knew I didn’t have an air tank to breathe into if I went under water. But once I got the hang of it, it wasn’t bad at all.

Just meeting helpful people out there is a nice feeling. Just a random stranger saw we needed help and said why not. It’s nice to know people are like that out there. When I was going down the steps could see people’s faces drop wondering how this is going to work exactly but it did!

So after scuba diving we were pretty beat! So we went back to the hotel and were going to get a massage but they were all booked for the night. We decided to save that for the morning which was a perfect plan! We ended up falling asleep until about 7:00pm! We were MOST hungry and we both take a pretty good amount of time to get ready. So at about 9:00pm we were ready to hit up the town. Turns out though a lot of places close around 10:00ish so we were in a rush to find a place to eat. We found a great little Italian restaurant and enjoyed wine and some amazing food. We talked for hours and ended up being the last people to leave the restaurant but we weren’t ready to head back home so we followed the music. We went to a fun little night club called CHI CHI’s. We drank a few gin and tonics and met some interesting people there for sure.

The next morning we woke up to get a massage which helped my hang over a ton and then the boat ride back to long beach! The massage was amazing and really helped me stand up straight without any type of arch in my back which was surprising. The boat ride back we thought for sure was going to be horrible but we found a nice couch to sleep on and the boat ride wasn’t bad at all when you sleep through it.

Day 4 (Tuesday):
    So we landed at long beach! As soon as we landed we drove over to meet Molly (uscmolly) and her husband Chris. They made sure we got the California experience and took us to the In and out burger for lunch and later we went to a really nice restaurant which I had the best salmon ever! Also the calamari was really good except that I spilled half of the delicious dipping sauce; I jumped on the fail boat for a little bit that night. During the day with Molly and Chris took us around to the different beaches and we had a really good time just people watching and seeing what’s out there. Molly and Chris seem like the perfect couple and really made us feel at home when we were with them.

They heard about our plans to hit up Disneyland on Thursday and offered to take us around Disneyland which was such a great idea. Julie and I always wanted to go as kids but didn’t get the chance so this was a perfect chance to get the most out of the 12 hours we stayed there! More story of Disney on day 6 of our adventure!

Day 5 (Wednesday)
    We again needed a day to just relax and take it easy. We ended up getting some brunch and later going to the beach! We ended up just lying around at the beach and reading. It was nice because it was later in the day so it wasn’t as busy or as hot as it usually is there. We knew we had a big day ahead of us on Thursday and made the big trip to DISNEYLAND!
    Again spur of the moment we said hey we should get a hotel! We wanted to get one actually in Disneyland but we started looking at 11:55pm and some of them needed at least 3 days notice, whoops. I guess you live and learn. We did find a really nice hotel for a very cheap price.

Julie and I actually thought it had to be fake for the price. But the place really was just as nice as the pictures for only 100 bucks a night! I guess with all the competition they had to really lower their prices.

Day 6 (Thursday)
    I was super excited about today because I always wanted to do this as a kid and so did Julie so it was perfect! It’s really fun even if you are older, ask Chris and Molly they always go and love it! So we ran into some traffic as usual but we made it up to Disney at around 11:00am. We met molly and Chris by the entrance and off our day went! We all were super hungry so we grabbed some food first and then started exploring! If I didn’t mention before we would have been so lost without Molly and Chris there. They really made it extra fun because they knew exactly what rides to take us on and how to skip the line for each one.

We both had such an amazing time at Disneyland and definitely plan on coming back to visit molly and Chris again. Molly was a champ and was able to really handle all the rides with no issues. Even towards might she was still zooming around as the rest of us were trying to keep up ha.

Chris was super helpful because on a few rides I needed a shoulder and if Julie wasn’t enough I would use Chris. I also have to give credit to Julie because she is always amazing! She was super helpful and really made it an great time. Towards the end of the night I was so tired I couldn’t even push so Chris would push molly and Julie would push me, it was a Kodak moment. I’m super glad I got to share the Disney adventure with Julie. The fireworks were great as well, I got a small video of it as well I’ll post. If anyone has facebook all the pictures and video are already posted on there but I’ll post the link here as well.

We actually forgot to eat when we were there. We planned on dinner but we got caught up with the rides and fireworks.
    We pushed it all the way until midnight when Disneyland closed and afterwards Julie and I were starving! We said our goodbyes to Chirs and Molly and went off to find our hotel. We got to our hotel around 1:00am and by 2:00am we still were searching for a place to deliver food. Well I say we but all I could do is lay there and talk gibberish/laugh while Julie was on phone calling places and also pretty giddy as well from the lack of food and sleep.

Turns out no one delivers pizza that late! We ALMOST hit up a fast food restaurant but we knew eating McDonalds that late would be bad news bears. So Julie and I slept through the hunger and woke up to some nice room service and of course COFFEE. NUM NUMS.

Day 7 (Friday)

Straight from Disney we called up Mark (Imight) and once he got off work we headed up to Hollywood to meet him. He’s a really cool dude. He definitely had lived a pretty wild life and told us his adventures in China. He took us to a really nice Japanese restaurant where we had this dish called Shuba Shuba? Correct me if I’m wrong Mark because I know I’m not typing that write but it was super good. We also hit up Hollywood boulevard and met some really crazy people.

Once Julie gets her pictures uploaded you can check them out! Imight and I got pictures with Jesus Chirst himself and I later got one with Superman and some midget with a knife. All in all a pretty good hollywood experience. I never knew Jesus was so tall though this guy was like 7’ and his hands were bigger than my face. But then again he is Jesus.
    Julie and I also eyed up some stores we planned on shopping at the next day in LA! Later that day Mark took us to a really cool pool place. I learned a few things from that night. Number one, I suck at pool and I can’t blame the wheelchair because Mark is pretty pro at pool. Number two don’t try to stand up and shoot pool when your drunk and number three, Julie is a pool shark ha.

Julie was a trooper that night because she was taking apart my wheelchair and throwing marks in the back seat as well. Mark and I were like old men, slowly walking towards the car. Mark’s neighbours probably were confused why Julie was with the SCI club.

We had a good time with Mark and later got a cab to sleep off the gin and tonics. The cab driver tried to pull a fast one on us though. He tried to talk us into staying at this really gross looking hotel. Julie and I weren’t having it and he found us a much nicer place. We later found out Johnny Knoxville always use to stay in the room we stayed at and the cafe connected to the hotel was where a ton of movies were shot at so that was pretty neat.

Day 8 (Saturday)

The next morning we enjoyed a nice breakfast at the cafe 101 and then headed back to Hollywood to enjoy some SHOPPING! Julie and I get along well because we both love to shop. I’m a pretty bad influence on Julie I think when it comes to shopping. Julie is a bit more conservative than I am when it comes to spending cash money. But I talked her into letting go a few times She introduced me to the store GUESS which has really sweet clothing , check it out!

We basically shopped all day and explored Hollywood some more. We did a lot of people watching on hollywood blvd and we hit up the wax museum as well which wasn’t that impressive but some of them were pretty good. We also went down to Sunset blvd to see what all the hype was and basically we found nothing great about it except some people sleeping in a yard.
    We left around 8:00pm from LA and Julie wanted to get back home and cook a yummy meal but with traffic we really didn’t get back until around 11:00pm so PIZZA was the next best option. Julie informed me that the pizza guy said he was held at gun point and that’s why our pizza was so late lol. Poor fellah.

I didn’t want to go to bed because I knew she had to go back the next day but it made me feel better to know I’ll see her again soon.

Day 9 (Sunday)

We woke up around 9:00am and Julie got packing once she got some coffee in her. We went out for some breakfast and by the time we came back she had to finish up packing and I had to take her back to the airport .

I honestly had such an amazing time with Julie and I think she had a great time as well! SCI sucks really bad but when you’re happy it really makes all the difference. You can sometimes forget that you’re injured if you find the right person to make you happy in life.

I'll post pics soon!
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Video here:
    http://www.facebook.com/v/967080336184

I also have some pics of Molly and Chris but I'll wait till they approve of me posting them! Julie also has more pictures of when we hung out with Imight and met all the fun people on Hollywood bvld! Also when we went snorkeling!
    Last edited by mr_coffee; 08-10-2009 at 03:17 AM.
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

Blog:
    Facebook:
    Progress:
    My drawings:

Hey Cory! I was thinking of you two today, since Julie was leaving California We had a GREAT time with you both. Kris and I both agreed that going to Disneyland with people who have never gone makes it an even better experience. I just loved how Julie said "that was amazing" after every ride! I even enjoyed Tower of Terror!

Go ahead and post what pics you have of us...it's cool I have a few too, just have to figure out how to post them.

Also, I just have to add that Cory and Julie were awesome to hang out with. They both have great attitudes and senses of humor. I can see why they make a good match!
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. -Mahatma Gandhi

Prairie girl at the left coast. Looks like you guys had a ball. Way to go.

Yooo. you guys were hella cool. Glad you liked the Shabu Shabu. It was sooo good. I hadn't been to hollywood blvd since I got back, so it was a treat for me too. Sorry I kept getting bombarded at the pool hall. ugh. its like so many people asking so many questions, I felt kind of bad, like I was neglecting. =/ I should have choosen another spot where I didn't know too many people. blah.

Julie was such a life saver, I also felt bad she had to help us BOTH, typically I NEVER show my weakness (esp to ladies), but since she was sitting where I usually put my chair, there was nothing else I could do but be an old man hahaha I forgot to text saturday dooohhhhhh. I forgot we had folks over for the UFC match (in the guesthouse out back) and when you guys text again it was already 8. I suck! *puts head down in shame*

Glad you guys got to hit up the wax....that place is cool.

Can't wait to see the Jesus pics hahahaha. I was thinking about them today, and thought we should have taken another one of us standing up, it would have been extra awesome. before after miracle steez.

I may be going to bay area again next month...so ill keep you posted.

Too bad you aren't here for an extra weekend, or I would take you guys with me to vegas this saturday!

ps. You weren't all that bad in pool, we all got pretty buzzed, pretty quick LOL.
    Last edited by Imight; 08-10-2009 at 02:35 AM.

No issues Mark we had a great time and Julie didn't mind helping us, she said its like routine! My next car is going to be a massive SUV that can fit 2 chairs like Molly and Kris have so there won't be any break down neccessary. The subaru can't cut it when it comes to storing 2 chairs whole hah oh well.

LOL shit we so should have taken another picture with jesus when we were standing . . . I never thought about how funny that would have been.

For sure if you come up to the bay area hit me up. I won't be out there until Sept 14th but after that I'll be there for along time.

Enjoy vegas
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

Blog:
    Facebook:
    Progress:
    My drawings:

Quote Originally Posted by mr_coffee View Post
    No issues Mark we had a great time and Julie didn't mind helping us, she said its like routine! My next car is going to be a massive SUV that can fit 2 chairs like Molly and Kris have so there won't be any break down neccessary. The subaru can't cut it when it comes to storing 2 chairs whole hah oh well.

LOL shit we so should have taken another picture with jesus when we were standing . . . I never thought about how funny that would have been.

For sure if you come up to the bay area hit me up. I won't be out there until Sept 14th but after that I'll be there for along time.

Enjoy vegas
    Word!

wait...you're still here in cali?

maybe ill pay you a visit next week or so!

Quote Originally Posted by Imight View Post
    Word!

wait...you're still here in cali?

maybe ill pay you a visit next week or so!
    Definitely. I'm in San Marcos until the end of august. Basically all I have planned until I move up to the bay area is go to therapy and be a bum in general so if your in the area give me a call even though I get shit service in the hills. So you would be better off messaging me on here first.
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

Blog:
    Facebook:
    Progress:
    My drawings:

Def. sounds good. I'll say next wed or thurs. I know a cool spot in S.D (and no I dont know anyone there lol) so we can chill, old man race, bag on weirdos or whatever. lol.

nice. I have therapy Wednesday and Thursday 11-1:00pm but after that I'm game.

Also Molly I posted the 3 pictures I had of you and Kris!
    Last edited by mr_coffee; 08-10-2009 at 03:18 AM.
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

Blog:
    Facebook:
    Progress:
    My drawings: