Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pressure Sore??? What To Do???

Pressure Sore??? What To Do???

My rehab taught me NOTHING about avoiding and treating pressure sores!!! And I haven't worried much about them because I've never had one...until now.

I've been sitting on my arse a lot this summer because I've been doing a 30-hour/wk internship. This is the most I've been in my chair since my injury happened a little over two years ago...I walk at home but have to use my chair when I go out.

Anyway, I do have feeling (abnormal sensations) below my injury site and a couple of days ago I started noticing a stinging/burning/aching sensation in my lower back. I had my partner check the area and she said I have a six inch long area running from my lower back down toward my anus. She said it looks like someone took a razor blade and cut my skin open.

What am I supposed to do about this? Should I go to the doctor? Treat it at home? If so, with what? We've been using hydrogen peroxide and anti-bacterial cream. Like I said, I've never had to deal with this before and I don't know what to do.

Also, how do I prevent these things in the future...other than shifting in my chair periodically?
    Last edited by Danine; 08-05-2009 at 07:23 PM.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

I doubt that it is a pressure sore. It sounds more like a cut or a scratch to me. Could this be an abrasion from a seam in tight jeans or something? If there was not a red line or something before the stinging started and it became opened, I would look to causes other than prolonged sitting.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Yes, have it seen - preferrably a wound center, but not sure if you have one of those. Also do NOT use hydrogen peroxide - it kills healthy tissue. Its ok to rinse out a dirty ugly wound once to get it cleaned out well, but don't use it on a pressure sore and never use it more than once, as it kills the new tissue as it grows. I would rinse it out with saline, stay off of it, and possibly put on neosporin until you can have it looked at.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

oh no...like Amy said...NO more peroxide...the nurse often can tell with a good picture...and advise...knock on wood we have been lucky with no sores...get out the camera...hope it will not affect your classes...

Sounds more like a scratch than a pressure sore, but whatever it is, you should prolly stay off of it. Neosporin ointment, keep it clean and covered with some gauze. Is it bleeding or weeping any fluid?
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by dan_nc View Post
    but whatever it is, you should prolly stay off of it.
    Stay off it AND keep tight things off it.
    by 55: Could this be an abrasion from a seam in tight jeans or something?
    Sounds likely! You need to figure out what caused it and change course.

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel View Post
    Yes, have it seen - preferrably a wound center, but not sure if you have one of those. Also do NOT use hydrogen peroxide - it kills healthy tissue. Its ok to rinse out a dirty ugly wound once to get it cleaned out well, but don't use it on a pressure sore and never use it more than once, as it kills the new tissue as it grows. I would rinse it out with saline, stay off of it, and possibly put on neosporin until you can have it looked at.
    Thanks for the advice...I had no idea about the peroxide.

I did have a doctor look at it today. She seemed to think that it's a heat rash gone bad...very glad my "self-diagnosis" was wrong. The nurse cleaned it with saline and put some antibiotic ointment on it. She gave me a script for the ointment and told me to use Balmex (sp?) to help keep the area dry.

Anyway, I finished my internship today, so I have a couple of weeks to rest and take care of myself before the madness starts again for next semester.

The best thing that you can do is make sure that you keep the pressure off the area- not matter what caused it, pressure can make it worse. Also, I would recommend that you drink plenty of fluids and eat well. Keep tight clothing off the area.

With a little luck it will clear up quickly.

CKF

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    The best thing that you can do is make sure that you keep the pressure off the area- not matter what caused it, pressure can make it worse. Also, I would recommend that you drink plenty of fluids and eat well. Keep tight clothing off the area.

With a little luck it will clear up quickly.

CKF
    Thank you.

Balmex is good, but I much prefer Triple Paste or Calmoseptine. Triple Paste you can find at most drug stores, but Calmoseptine usually has to be mail ordered.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager