Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Quadriplegic, 49, Petitions Court to End His Life

Quadriplegic, 49, Petitions Court to End His Life

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25896071-2,00.html

A 49-YEAR-OLD quadriplegic who says his life is a "living hell" will find out whether he can starve himself to death as early as next Friday.

"This is living hell.

"I used to be a cyclist, I used to be a keen walker.

"I bushwalked around the world ... I've rock climbed in Yosemite Valley in California up very steep cliffs.

"I've got a degree in economics and now I can't even read a newspaper, I can't turn the pages.

Stories like these make me both sad and angry. He needs psychological counselling and adaptive equipment. There are plenty of options out there to "turn pages" and control other aspects of his environment. I will probably get flamed for this, but he also needs to grow a set. We ALL walked up steep cliffs and did other things once upon a time. He condition is hardly unique and maybe he needs to meet some active quads to find out possibilities.

Agree Eileen ... I hate seeing reasons that are about what a person can't do anymore, especially when so many things can be adapted. Can't read a newspaper? Of course he can. WIth that being said, I don't pretend have know what he must be feeling and his own unique thoughts. I hope he receives some counseling and that he is open to hearing it....
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Starving is not a painless death. Some CC people are at his injury level and have lived for decades.

Each person needs to decide for themselves how much they can or cannot take and at what point they just want to go. Unfortunately for this man he is a very high quad in a nursing home. In his situation there is very little good happening to balance out the bad, the undignified and the frustrating. If he is of sound mind and this is what he has decided to do then is really nobody else's right to insist that he continue to live in his situation if he would rather die.
    When contemplating death the one thing that you should always keep in mind is that you can always say to yourself "I will give it another day/week/month/year etc. and if I still can't stand it I will get them to let me die then." Then when that time period is over you can always have the option to say the same thing to yourself again. Maybe you will be glad that you put it off and maybe you won't and will still end up choosing death eventually, but you can only decide to die and actually go through with it once, even if it turns out to be a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    Each person needs to decide for themselves how much they can or cannot take and at what point they just want to go. Unfortunately for this man he is a very high quad in a nursing home. In his situation there is very little good happening to balance out the bad, the undignified and the frustrating. If he is of sound mind and this is what he has decided to do then is really nobody else's right to insist that he continue to live in his situation if he would rather die....
    I agree completely.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

a mile in their moccasin

Let him have his peace. What do we know of his life? why is it ours to judge.

There is much to be said about adaptation and what we used to do. I'm 5 years of hell on earth with pain most days at 9-10 been throuhh evry drug regimen and currently doing more testing and likely looking at 3 more levels revision. I'll do it in hope it works.

Honestly though if they don't find something better for me? why bother. Wake up in agony, if (big if) i loosen up it lasts til 10:30 pain may go down to 8

by noon I can barely concentrate trough the pain back up to 10 most days. It has torn the life and soul from me, but I am high enough function to make my own choice when the time comes.

I've burned out all my friends (cept'n my peeps here) mu wife my family, no one can stand to be around because the pain is so evident especially when I go spastic

I have a shrink and spiritual counselor. I asked them both point blank who the f are you to tell me I shouldn't do it and after several converstations they at least understood. Leave baggage? sure, think i don't leave baggage now? think again. I've wiped out our savings on my sci riddled life.

I'm no fool to think that there should be interventions for the reactive suicides but mine has been in planning for 3 years and am not mentally ill I am physically ill to the extent I cannot survive.

And the "sin" of suicide? If I'd been treated maybe only hours later I'd be dead anyway so the intervention of a truly brilliant surgeon who "saved" me somehow makes me whole and on equal footing with the ABs

I believe in God and know no matter the manner in which I go home he'll take me and understand.

If I sound bitter I'm not, I have had one hell of a ride here, done and seen things most never will, still retain an awe and wonder of nature, just hard to enjoy it with a chainsaw tearing through my back whitehot electrified razor wires from my back to my toes and all the other shit we deal with.

Would love to tell stories of when I was a filed op for the inteligence company, you'd fall out the chair laughing and someties cry but I have loved every minute of my time here.

sorry for the rant.

I ride the line daily.

I pray they let him have his peace.

Bill

All that I am is all gone

let him go

tried???????????????? Forgive me if I'm oversteping Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    I agree completely.
    I'm with RDF. Although I wonder why he is talking through a traceostomy tube? Why not chose unplugging as a method of death as that is just ending extraoridinary measures and can be done under sedation?

To say no though to someone judged as sane is to take yet more autonomy away from someone already without the means to do it himself.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.