Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: One-Off offroad handcycle thread

Quote Originally Posted by alpentalic View Post
    Sold on the bike seat idea. You're right, knees take most of the weight anyway and coming in over the top behind the wheel was the ticket for transferring.
    did you put one on your bike yet? the Terry Gel seat cover is KEY. let me know, i used a BMX seatpost clamp with a couple of .058" crommoly shims to bump the tube up to 1" for the clamp - i may chop my new one to accept an actual bicycle seat tube/post.

Quote Originally Posted by alpentalic View Post
    btw, if I can continue picking your brain...how's the roof rack in the picture work? I assume you load on the ground and slide it up there? Looks like something I need!
    i made it myself it fits two regular bikes and my one off at the same time AND we can fit our folding 18' sea kayak inside WITH our two dogs and camping gear you just roll the bike up the back of the car & i made it so the one off wheels sit in between the gaps & the wheels are secured by toe straps - it's super bomber.

Quote Originally Posted by TailTrex View Post
    Hello Group:
    Foremost please excuse my busting in here and asking what may seem like a silly question, right off the bat. But you folks (Gents) appear quite One-Off savvy, so figured I’d take a shot...

I’ve been working with Mike Augspurger to develop a special One-Off for use with dogs (more about that at http://www.TailTrex.org); to tow the machine into designated Wilderness, in accord with ADA §508. And although Mike has been extremely helpful, we’ve encountered a bit of an issue. One you may be able to assist with, and augment Mike’s research.

The (US) National Wilderness Preservation System provides for hiking trails to be no more than 24 inches wide, as a standard, especially when trails are first made or repaired. Since the One-Off is wider than that (about 32 inches wide), not all NWPS trails will accommodate the One-Off; especially in mountainous terrain.

Mike and I have discussed narrowing the One-Off, although after testing with dogs pulling the machine Mike is hesitant to do so. Can’t say that I blame him, given a lessened stability factor if narrowed (besides that the man knows his machine, thoroughly).

...In any case.

I’m wondering if you One-Off users might be able to suggest ways to get around trail corners that might be at the standard 24 inches wide? Perhaps the tilting methods some user apply, or maybe another process that has worked for you? All suggestions and comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark,
    http://www.TailTrex.org
    i ride what's on the SIDE of the trails {see pics} i can't see dogs pulling working on any of the trails i ride at all.......maybe on dirt roads........narowing the side to side profile would increase the tendency to tip side hilling, and i wouldn't want that.

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    …i can't see dogs pulling working on any of the trails i ride at all.......maybe on dirt roads...
    Appreciate your thoughts, Steve, albeit pull dogs make the work of cranking the One-Off almost effortless up steeper terrain. Our own testing using weighted track devices and that of Mike Augspurger on the One-Off confirm this, so I’d encourage you to keep an open mind.

That said; our program is not necessarily helpful for those with strong upper body ability, who can crank a One-Off themselves, although the dogs help for distances (greater endurance) in that regard too.

…narowing the side to side profile would increase the tendency to tip side hilling, and i wouldn't want that.
    I whole-heartedly agree. Mike and I have explored a number of possible configurations to overcome that factor, but in the end safety is compromised and that (in my mind as well as Mike's, I might add) is unacceptable. Which is why we’ve elected to leave the One-Off design as is, given the inherent stability of a wider stance.

We’ll just have to deal with the trail width issue through other means, and that is what I’m working on presently. Nonetheless I don’t view this issue as an insurmountable one, just another consideration in the grander scheme of things.

Thanks again for your comment, Steve; every little bit helps!

Happy Trails,
    Mark,

Quote Originally Posted by TailTrex View Post

Thanks again for your comment, Steve; every little bit helps!

Happy Trails,
    Mark,
    no worries, man! the more people we can get out there the better! do you ride one?

Hi Gentlemen, a bit of a differant perspective: I discovered the One-Off a few months ago on the internet and it looks like a Blast! I've never used any type of handcyle before and have no idea what I'm capable of. If I get a handcycle, I would much rather have one for offroad. Riding with the traffic just doesnt do it. I want to get out in the woods and hopefully take my son fishing. I ride my regular wheel chair around my neighborhood, but that gets borring. I'm T4 complete for about 18 months now. My upper body strength is not that strong and differant from all you guys: is I'm a girl. So I'm wondering how strong do I have to be to enjoy the bike?; How much of a beating does the upper chest take for resting your weight and stirring take? Also, the upperchest is also where my band of nerve pain is concentrated. Oh, and are they ok for the regular road? Wont always be able to get away, but have to get out of the house once and awhile. One more question: looking at the videos and pictures, the rider is always looking down. Kind of defeats the purpose of getting out in the woods, doesnt it? NeckStrain to look up and out?? No experience, so had to ask...
    I'm looking at other surgery, possible this fall, so wont be able to investigate my possabilitys for awhile; but how would you go about trying out one of these? They are way too expensive to purchase without testing them out first. And travel for me right now is not possable.
    So ready to get out there and start living!! Thanx for any advise you got,
    Rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyMom View Post
    is I'm a girl. .
    Rebecca
    dang, you got me there - plus, we are all physically screwed up so differently from each other on top of being different sexes!! other then riding one, which would be the key, i reckon, call Mike at one off - when we had the world's in colorado a gal there rode one up & down the mountain the 1st time she sat on one. does it jack up your neck? sure, after awhile - 3hrs plus for me anymore, but i gotta get out there, and i do enjoy it very much!

hey, Alpentalic - what rim/tire combo came on your 24" wheel rig? just a few pieces left for the new build...........going out now, Steve.

who's got one? let's talk - anything. i have many hours on the old one {18" rear wheel} and a new one {24" rear wheel} in the box unbuilt & unpainted that i am going to pretty highly modify. sooooo........riding, fitting, technique, repair, fabrication - let's bust it out - Alpentalic?

Hey Steve,
    How come you decided to buy 2 One-off handcycles? It seams like with Coconinocycles it would be a lot cheaper to build your own model. At least on your second one.

I got a One-off earlier this spring and I have had problems with the chain coming off and getting jammed between the two gear plates that are between your knees. I hope I have the problem fixed finally after replacing both the gear plates and the rear derailer.

I went on a ride today and had a run in with a Ram Big Horn Sheep. I rode up on a group of about 5 males and they all started running up the hill but one all of the sudden stopped and started to walk straight at me nodding his head up and down like he was going to charge at me or something. I thought maybe it was my low height off the ground and the posture of leaning forward on the bike so I sat up in the seat and he stopped nodded his head a couple more times then turned and walked to the side of the road. I don’t know what he was actually thinking but he had me worried for a little while.

I am new to this forum and this is my first post so Hello everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyMom View Post
    Rebecca
    I ride for 20 minutes or so at a time, then take a quick break and sit up to stretch it all out. It takes a while to develop a pace and get comfortable with how it works but no matter what you're initially capable of doing on it, you're going to be able to get off the beaten path.

I'm in Seattle and the bike will probably be a little big on you, but you're welcome to give it a try and see what you think sometime.

hey, Alpentalic - what rim/tire combo came on your 24" wheel rig? just a few pieces left for the new build...........going out now, Steve.
    I have it stored at the moment at a friends house and will let you know when I get on it again, probably Thu. The tires are maxxis, can't remember the rims...