Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: One-Off offroad handcycle thread

One-Off offroad handcycle thread

who's got one? let's talk - anything. i have many hours on the old one {18" rear wheel} and a new one {24" rear wheel} in the box unbuilt & unpainted that i am going to pretty highly modify. sooooo........riding, fitting, technique, repair, fabrication - let's bust it out - Alpentalic?

I bought one very recently and am enjoying getting used to it and finding out how far I can push it. It certainly goes up really steep ground with ease and is a lot of fun downhill.
    It is taking me a little while to work out the best way of transferring into it but that is getting easier and I am looking forward to using it on more adventurous terrain.

Steve - can't wait to see what mods you're working on. I have a few in mind including making the plastic gear shield you sit in front of into more of a bench to sit on for transfers. My legs have waaay too much tone in them to transfer like this guy:

If I put both feet on the ground, I can just about transfer on my own but slide forward onto said plastic piece. Oherwise, I just about have the minimal assist technique perfected.

The '09 came with a 25" rear wheel armed with a downhill tire tread that stomps up anything. I warmed up for a few days getting to know the bike then took it straight to Mt. Pilchuck with my old climbing partner. Very slowly but surely we made it up some gnarly terrain, tore a blister on my thumb and had to descend which, by the way, is a freakin' blast.

We'll be tagging summits in the near future, something I couldn't realistically ever see doing again before the bike. So far, it's been the single best piece of equipment/exercise/therapy/etc that I've had since injury. No feeling compares to a hard day in fresh air on the mountain forest path.

I don't have one but sure would like to. I have a Top End road bike that I got last year. I like riding it MUCH more than going to the gym!

We have lots of great places to ride a One-Off around here. I would like to take one to the top of White Mountain. It is over 14,000 feet. It is the 3rd highest peak in California and definitely doable on a One-Off.

Does anyone have any info or experience of these guys? I have sent them an email about the all terrain cycle at the bottom of this page,

http://www.lightfootcycles.com/handtrike.php

but haven't had a reply yet.
    Alcohol and Calculus don't mix. Never Ever drink and derive!.

I've got mine up for sale if anyone is interested. http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=121826
    I've got some lower back spasms and tone that is too much for me to stay comfortable on it for longer periods of time. It is quite a workout though! I did switch out the cabling on the chest pad and the connection from the small chain to the steering cable. I can probably take close up pics if anyone is interested in seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by alpentalic View Post

Steve - can't wait to see what mods you're working on. I have a few in mind including making the plastic gear shield you sit in front of into more of a bench to sit on for transfers. If I put both feet on the ground, I can just about transfer on my own but slide forward onto said plastic piece. Oherwise, I just about have the minimal assist technique perfected.

The '09 came with a 25" rear wheel armed with a downhill tire tread that stomps up anything. I warmed up for a few days getting to know the bike then took it straight to Mt. Pilchuck with my old climbing partner. Very slowly but surely we made it up some gnarly terrain, tore a blister on my thumb and had to descend which, by the way, is a freakin' blast.

We'll be tagging summits in the near future, something I couldn't realistically ever see doing again before the bike. So far, it's been the single best piece of equipment/exercise/therapy/etc that I've had since injury. No feeling compares to a hard day in fresh air on the mountain forest path.
    awesome, man! watch out sitting on the "nun's hat" {Mike's term} as you are sitting on your drive train - the plastic is PVC, so you could get an extra piece and re-inforce it. i'm on my 2nd set of "armor" and i patch mine together where it cracks. i do scrape it all the time, and do 2-wheel hand plants through thin slots scraping most of the way. as per transfers......i used to sit on the tractor seat and then swing one leg over - yaddayadda - but i now use a standard bicycle seat with a gel cover to sit my sitbones on as the knee holders support 90% of your weight, that and the steering pad - so, i straddle the rear wheel and just break my tone & kneel forward into the bike. *wear gloves!!!* cycling gloves last 4-5 good rides, tops. all of them. the $2.99 gardening gloves with dots will last much, much longer, and you grab allot of rocks & logs getting throught the forest & moving eye pokers. gloves are more important then a helmet IMO - you are so low that the big worry is jamming a hand, wrist or shoulder. don't stick your arm out at speed! all i need to start assembling my new one is a rear hub - it should be here any day {chris king}. i have to put on all the braze ons & modify the frame somewhat. i have made mine 7-speed, it has only one Schlumph, it has fast-tec buckles insted of velcro for the toes.........let a frame builder loose on something! and yes, - they DO kick ass! i'm going out Sun. for a long singletrack grovel & there are allot of pics on my blog. i'm stoked to have others to talk about off-road handcycling! Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by My395 View Post
    We have lots of great places to ride a One-Off around here. I would like to take one to the top of White Mountain. It is over 14,000 feet. It is the 3rd highest peak in California and definitely doable on a One-Off.
    dude - that is high on my radar - where do you access that? is it near Bishop? i saw the video of the guy going up that in a standard chair - whoa!

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    dude - that is high on my radar - where do you access that? is it near Bishop? i saw the video of the guy going up that in a standard chair - whoa!
    Yes, it is right above Bishop, which is where my wife and I live. You can use us for your basecamp if you decide to do White Mountain... or bring both of your bikes and I will join you

I have seen the video of the guy going up it in the chair, so it is doable on a One-Off.

SG: Interesting idea about the bike seat, I'll have to see how you attached it but it makes sense how it'd be easier to transfer. Love to see a pic or video of how you get it done. Right too about sitting on the 'nun hat', I'm already squashing it. I'd like to build a plastic/fiberglass/whatever box that was sturdier but maybe that's an idea I'll outgrow as I use it more. My right hand/side being much weaker, I have a bit of a problem using the right handlebar to turn when I'm cranking with the left arm. If you can fabricate something, perhaps a telescoping bar that slides into the handlebar tube to use as leverage I'd gladly buy it from you!