Thread: Film about Cody Unser is candid take on paralysis

Film about Cody Unser is candid take on paralysis

By DEBORAH BAKER (AP) – 2 hours ago

SANTA FE, N.M. — A gripping scene in a new documentary captures the spirit of Cody Unser, who has been paralyzed since age 12.

She's in a bathtub in her college dorm, trying to shift from her shower chair to her wheelchair. She falls repeatedly, each time missing the wheelchair then hoisting herself up for another try.

"Happens every day. Just let it roll," filmmaker Chris Schueler remembers her saying matter-of-factly when he offered to intervene.

The scene is shot discreetly, from a distance. Where the 22-year-old Unser bares all is in her forthright, on-camera discussions about her life.

She talks frankly about her sexuality, about challenging society's misperception of women in wheelchairs as asexual, incompetent, dependent.

more...

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...E8G_wD99U02BG0

Quote Originally Posted by manouli View Post
    By DEBORAH BAKER (AP) – 2 hours ago

SANTA FE, N.M. — A gripping scene in a new documentary captures the spirit of Cody Unser, who has been paralyzed since age 12.

She's in a bathtub in her college dorm, trying to shift from her shower chair to her wheelchair. She falls repeatedly, each time missing the wheelchair then hoisting herself up for another try.

"Happens every day. Just let it roll," filmmaker Chris Schueler remembers her saying matter-of-factly when he offered to intervene.

The scene is shot discreetly, from a distance. Where the 22-year-old Unser bares all is in her forthright, on-camera discussions about her life.

She talks frankly about her sexuality, about challenging society's misperception of women in wheelchairs as asexual, incompetent, dependent.

more...

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...E8G_wD99U02BG0
    I was looking on pbs, do u have the actual link for the movie?
    I know it is availlable for upload.
    My mouth is like a magician's hat, never know what might come out of it.

I would like that link also.

me as well... where can it be watched?

Quote Originally Posted by MValente81807 View Post
    me as well... where can it be watched?
    Apparently pbs has a link where you can upload, but I was not able to find it.
    My mouth is like a magician's hat, never know what might come out of it.

You can view the trailer here: http://www.cufsf.org/default.asp?Cus...Name=cufsf.org

You can read the script here: http://www.christopherproductions.or...ody_script.pdf

Re PBS:

Note from the producers: Cody: The First Step will be uplinked to PBS stations on July 30. At that time they pull it down and hold it for possible broadcast. Each station makes its own decision as to whether to air it or not and when. So if folks want to help, they can certainly call their local PBS stations, ask them to be sure to record the uplink on July 30 and to broadcast the program. Each station has been given the rights to broadcast it any time over the next 18 months.
    http://www.nasdva.net/profiles/blogs...e-first-step-a
    Last edited by antiquity; 08-07-2009 at 01:11 PM.

looks awesome is it on dvd, where can we see it
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

real nice girl, i believe she has TM , she was at the dc rally years ago.
    Last edited by metronycguy; 08-07-2009 at 05:42 PM. Reason: eneeie meeny
    cauda equina

Malibu film fest screens one night in founding city

The Malibu Film Festival features four films with Malibu connections, including "Return to Tarawa," about Malibu resident Leon Cooper's struggle to memorialize those lost in World War II at the Pacific atoll.
    Published:
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 3:10 PM PDT
    The 10th incarnation of the Malibu International Film Festival splits its venue screenings and events once again with Santa Monica.

By Sherene Tagharobi / Special to The Malibu Times and Laura Tate / Editor

Despite the fact that two weeks ago the Malibu International Film Festival was without a centerpiece film, director David Katz gave staff the day off in light of the swell that had just hit the coast. Sometimes, people work better outside the office. The festival is scheduled for this Thursday through Saturday.

"I was surfing and [film director] Michael Oblowitz paddles up to me and says, 'Hey, my film just had its world premiere at CineVegas, and I'd love for it to have its Los Angeles premiere,'" Katz said.

Katz agreed to screen Oblowitz's documentary "Sea of Darkness," a candid look at surf culture, and he loved it.

The festival never closes its submissions, even if the schedule has been locked, Katz said.

"Producing a film festival is just like producing a film," Katz said. "You have to understand that things are going to come unexpectedly sometimes."

The scheduling of this year's festival also came belatedly. The dates and film lineup were announced barely three weeks before its opening night. On July 13 Katz had circulated a letter asking the City of Malibu to sponsor the festival by allowing the festival to use the Malibu Performing Arts Center and Bluffs Parks for screenings.

However, because the center was still in escrow at the time (the city bought the property in June), it could not be rented, and it was decided that screening films in a tent at the park would be detrimental to the festival's quality, Katz said in an interview Tuesday.

The only Malibu venues this year are Malibu Cinemas for opening night and Duke's Malibu for the opening night party. The rest of the festival screenings and events take place at Ocean Avenue Screening Room in Santa Monica.

However, the festival-despite its growing pains and struggles throughout the years (this is its 10th incarnation), and that it is not entirely a "Malibu" festival (last year was the first year it came back to Malibu after Katz took it to Santa Monica in 2005)- keeps going.

Katz said he had planned to do the festival entirely within the city this year, but "we are going to stay as a summer event, and in order to be a summer event that's going to take some [financial] support from the people of Malibu ... in order to rent the theater."

more...

http://www.malibutimes.com/articles/...news/news6.txt