Thread: Help!!!

Help!!!

My 15 year old daughter was diagnosed with TM 25 days ago. She was on a teen tour out west and got off the bus and couldn;t feel her legs. She is still paralyzed from the waist down.
    We live in Rockland County, NY (approx 25 miles north of NYC) and she is currently in Blythedale Children's HOspital rehab in Westchester.
    My question is, can anyone recommend an outpatient facility in Westchester or Northern NJ that works with TM patients?
    She will be ready to be discharged within a month and I am looking for a place where she will get intensive therapy. She is physically and mentally mature, so even an adult factility might work.

I'm very sorry to hear about your daughter's situation. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about recommending rehab facilities, but I'm sure one of the nurses will jump in and give you some advice about that. Good luck for your daughter's recovery.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Johns Hopkins is the big research center for TM. I would recommend getting consultation there, and also considering one of the following:

Kennedy Kreiger Institute (also in Baltimore)

The Shriners SCI Rehabilitation Program in Philadelphia

Also check out this organization: http://www.myelitis.org/

She should have an intensive inpatient SCI rehabilitation program, not just outpatient therapy.

(KLD)

Sent you a PM

We went to Burke Rehabilitaion Center in White Plains. We wanted agressive PT for our teenager. We were happy with both inpatient and outpatient.

nancy

If you want aggressive, cutting edge terapy ( as if it really existed ), Burke is NOT the place. Burke is for grandmothers with broken hips, not young people afflicted with SCI. I left Burke after a month. Go to Kessler.

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter. I'm from Westchester. I would recommend Kessler in NJ or Helen Hayes Hospital in West Havestraw, NY. I only was in Burke for outpatient and it was pretty good. I was in Helen Hayes for 7 weeks and I got excellent care, pt and ot. Good luck and best wishes to you.