Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to find a house, need advise

Trying to find a house, need advise

So, I've been approved for section 8. A one bedroom with the standard of living in my county being $565. Its about $100 more than that with bills.

The problem is that either the owner/manager is unwilling to modify the home to suit me. I am trying to squeeze a 2 bedroom into a one bedroom budget so that I'll have a room for my son as well as room for my equipment/supplies without having to overcrowd the house.

I could REALLY use any input on how to qualify for another room or talk the owner/manager into making modifications.

I am only approved for a one bedroom because I don't have full custody of my son and I don't have a live in aid. The fact that space for equipment and supplies does not matter.

Help please!
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

Habitat for Humanity? Dunno if they can help but it might be worth a try.

I've applied and am waiting to hear if I was approved. Either way though I have to establish rental history for at least 9 months.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

What kind of modifications are you asking them to make? Are you asking them to put up walls to convert a one bedroom apartment into two bedrooms? Who would be funding those changes?
    Daniel

Ramp, widened doors, roll-in show. All the labor would be donated and the cost would be 50/50 or on them. Have yet to get that far though.

My Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by GoTWHeeLs View Post
    So, I've been approved for section 8. A one bedroom with the standard of living in my county being $565.

Help please!
    What other options have you looked into? My mortgage payment on my house is less than $565 with taxes and ins. And I had it custom built brand new to my design. It's a 3 bedroom 2 bath w/2 car garage in a nice rural area. I think you can do better than a 1 bedroom for $565 in sec. 8 housing.

I found that Colorado has a first time home buyers program that, if you qualify, gives a 3% 30 yr fixed mortgage rate. That is the only thing that made it possible for me. They also have a $10k down payment assistance for disabled. Which can be used for mods, if needed. See if OK has something similar.

I found out about it when I originally started looking in a Mobile Home park (this one was different than most as you own the land too). There was an older but nice single wide for $400 month owner will carry. It wasn't for me but around the corner was a nice 3 br 2 bath 3 car garage double wide on 1/2 acre for $80k. I called the Realtor who came out and told me about the programs and calculated the mortgage at $330 a month. It would be about $10k to modify it though. For 90k I started looking at stick homes and then at having one built. - that's the extremely condensed version but if you look I bet you'll find something better suited to your needs and possibly for less money.

The FHA (Fair Housing Act) applies to *most* housing (there are certain exceptions to owner-occupied buildings with fewer than 4 units ... and there are some state and municipal laws that are more restrict than the federal).

http://www.hud.gov/offices/fheo/FHLaws/yourrights.cfm

Additional Protection if You Have a Disability

If you or someone associated with you:

Have a physical or mental disability (including hearing, mobility and visual impairments, chronic alcoholism, chronic mental illness, AIDS, AIDS Related Complex and mental retardation) that substantially limits one or more major life activities
    Have a record of such a disability or
    Are regarded as having such a disability
    your landlord may not:

Refuse to let you make reasonable modifications to your dwelling or common use areas, at your expense, if necessary for the disabled person to use the housing. (Where reasonable, the landlord may permit changes only if you agree to restore the property to its original condition when you move.)
    Refuse to make reasonable accommodations in rules, policies, practices or services if necessary for the disabled person to use the housing.
    Example: A building with a "no pets" policy must allow a visually impaired tenant to keep a guide dog.

Example: An apartment complex that offers tenants ample, unassigned parking must honor a request from a mobility-impaired tenant for a reserved space near her apartment if necessary to assure that she can have access to her apartment.

However, housing need not be made available to a person who is a direct threat to the health or safety of others or who currently uses illegal drugs.
    This is to say that landlords, by law, are required to allow you to make modifications (at your own expense) and they may require you to take out those modifications at the termination of the lease (again, at your own expense).
    Daniel

Theres a homeowners program here but they require you to be on Sec. 8 for at least 1 year. This place will be temporary, that's why I'm not dumping money in for modifications. I can fit through the doorways after I take off and set aside the doors. If needed a ramp can be built cheap but efficiant and later removed. As far as the bathroom goes if they are willing to give up the tub and allow a roll-in shower it would benefit them, our modification here added value to the home. Plus I dont have that kind of money.

My Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by GoTWHeeLs View Post
    As far as the bathroom goes if they are willing to give up the tub and allow a roll-in shower it would benefit them, our modification here added value to the home.
    don't know too many people looking for a place with 1/2 bath, the only way it would benefit them if they was a list of wheelchair users wanting to rent it, that sounds like the big expense, removing the tub and tiling a roll-in shower
    good luck in whatever you do
    bruce
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan