Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Getting a colostomy for my 31st SCI anniversary!

Quote Originally Posted by thehipcrip View Post

Since you changed your own bags, you must have taken your first look at your stoma. How did that go? You last mentioned you were pretty nervous about seeing it for the first time.
    It actually went okay. The day after surgery the doc came to see me. He was sitting in a chair talking and I mentioned that I hadn't looked at it yet. His face lit up and he jumped out of his chair and said, "Oh, you have to see it, it's so beautiful! It's like a rosebud and that is perfect because we live in the city of roses!" He was so enthusiastic and proud of his work and that made it so much better.

Thank goodness for the doctors with the good bedside manners! Some of them are just horrible.

(I wouldn't describe it as beautiful. I find it a bit repulsive to tell the truth, but I can live with it.)

Quote Originally Posted by thehipcrip View Post

I really want to thank you for this thread. Being able to follow someone's experience from decision to outcome is invaluable, and I know that this diary you're keeping about getting a voluntary colostomy will benefit many, many people. It's way cool of you to share like this.
    Thanks for saying that. I had intended on writing much more, but the surgery was harder on my body than I thought it would be, and I just didn't have the energy to do more than I did.

Quote Originally Posted by bnb View Post
    did u have an ng stomach tube after surgery.......just curious.
    Nope. I have the stoma, I had an IV, and I have two incisions that are about an inch long.

Quote Originally Posted by keps View Post
    Excellent! This is so good to read. I'm so bloody jealous as I would like to have this done (my bowels rule my life), but I've got no chance. Pah.

But anyway, yeah, fabulous! I hope the gurgling eases soon.
    Why do you have no chance? Because insurance won't pay for it? I'm so sick of insurance not giving a shit about QOL.

Quote Originally Posted by doingtimeonmyass View Post
    Good deal Shannon. Now you need to contact the ostomy supply companies for samples to see which products work best for you. A lot of them throw in a nice supply kit and scissors.

I had colostomy surgery back in February and have been happy with it ever since. You'll have to experiment to find out which foods give you the most gas and give yourself some time for your body to adjust. I went out to eat about a week after my surgery feeling really well until the waitress came over with our drinks and my body decided to start passing some loud gas for what seemed like a good 5 to 10 embarrassing seconds. That's the only downside.
    I'm kind of bummed about the noises it makes. I had asked the doctor about this when I was only considering the surgery. He said that it wouldn't make any noises. I've found out this isn't true. It's embarassing.

Question... I was reading online this morning about continuing to pass mucous from the rectum once in a while. How do you deal with this? I know I passed quite a bit the day after surgery, but I thought that would be the end of it. Now I find out that it's still going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    (I wouldn't describe it as beautiful. I find it a bit repulsive to tell the truth, but I can live with it.)
    Shannon,
    The beauty is in the functionality when everything is working right.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Why do you have no chance? Because insurance won't pay for it? I'm so sick of insurance not giving a shit about QOL.
    If English health care is the same as here, they don't make such operations except if the person is sick. And since SCI is not a sickness and the people can have a bowel program, they don't do it. We can't choose, just like we can't choose to have a mitro. I am ready to take my bladder out because I think the destroyed bladder is the reason for all my UTIs, but it is still difficult. The doctors have to find a reason to do it. I have told them for years but I haven't even been to a urologist who is making a stoma yet.
    TH 12, 43 years post

I'm kind of bummed about the noises it makes. I had asked the doctor about this when I was only considering the surgery. He said that it wouldn't make any noises. I've found out this isn't true. It's embarassing.

Question... I was reading online this morning about continuing to pass mucous from the rectum once in a while. How do you deal with this? I know I passed quite a bit the day after surgery, but I thought that would be the end of it. Now I find out that it's still going to happen.

Hi Shannon - Bill's illeostomy makes noises from time to time .. I think it might be diet related ... it doesn't happen all the time but it's the damndest thing .. we affectionately refer to it as the "space alien" ... I think of it in the same terms as a persons stomach growling except it's louder because it's on the outside. It will likely calm down after your body adjusts and then when it does talk to you you'll be too busy enjoying all that free time you'll have to even notice. I remember the first few times we heard Bill's and I won't deny it creeped us out at first but now honestly we laugh .... or completely ignore it ..... or like any other "normal" family we blame it on the dog.

The mucous thing does happen from time to time but it's rare honestly. I think it was last year or maybe even 2 years ago now Bill had to deal with that ... except in his case oddly enough it was almost like regular poo. I won't lie when it happens its inconvenient to say the least but it usually only lasts a day or two and once Bill even got on the can and used a bullet to get a good clean out and it was over almost immediately - I've never understood how its even possible for anything to travel through the gut afterward but somehow it gets from point a to point b.

In spite of these little "annoyances" Shannon Bill has never once wished he didn't have his ileostomy because of the freedom it provides so try not to worry too much ... I found some old links to past discussions for you. Speedy healing .....

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...+mucous+rectum
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ight=colostomy
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ight=colostomy

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

I don't do much about it and hope others chime in on that same question.

I was told in the hospital by the ostomy nurse to use a saline enema about every six months to clear the rectum. That seems like a long time, but I don't have any problems with mucus coming out either. I did try a mini enema a couple months ago, but all that came out was what looked like slightly discolored saline. So I too am wondering about that.

Hi Shannon, I had mine done in March. I have the toots evry once in a while. As Obie says, I blame it on the dog and now will blame it on space aliens. Thanks Obi. for that one.

I haven't had any mucous at all even though I was told I might from time to time. But so far nothing.

Good luck with the C.. I would have preferred not to have one but it sure has made my life easier by far. Take Care and good luck