Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Getting a colostomy for my 31st SCI anniversary!

So when's the chili and beer party???.....j/k.....

Glad all has gone well so far, fingers crossed it remain so.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Surgery was yesterday and everything went well. Other than a headache, I have no pain at all. I'm already producing gas, so it looks like I might get to go home tomorrow! I haven't looked at my stoma yet. I'm pretty nervous about seeing it.
    Glad to hear everything went well. If you have not already tuned into the United Ostomy Association discussion board, you might find it useful. I certainly have in dealing with my urostomy. You will find it at:

http://www.uoaa.org/forum/viewtopic....b634664aba8cc2

Wishing you the best.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I'm glad it went well Shannon, surgery is never fun. Best wishes in your recovery.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I so dread bp days.... even after I am done, I feel like shit for hours after due to mild AD from hemmroids. Been considering this myself. I am glad everything went well and you are feeling good.

Can I ask a delicate question? What do they do to the anus? Or nothing is done because things are re-routed?

Other than a headache, I have no pain at all.
    The (only?) silver lining on that great thunderstorm of SCI.
    I'm very glad that things went well, Shannon, and hope that it will have the effect on your QOL that you deserve.
    - Richard

Maybe this is premature and I certainly don't want to jinx anything, but I can't tell you how happy I am I got this done. Yesterday I emptied my bag by myself twice and it was so easy. In all the research I did on this subject for the last few years people have most often said, "My only regret is that I didn't have it done sooner". That is exactly how I am feeling.

Cowboy, they don't do anything to the anus. Things are re-routed and nothing comes out of there. Good news for those darn roids!

55 yrs... I've registered at the ostomy discussion board. Thanks! Things are pretty gurgly and loud at the moment, but my doctor said that will get better. I can't remember how long it will take. I hope not long because it is really quite loud.

Hooray for you, Shannon -- it's so nice to hear you're happy with the results and are confident you did the right thing. It sounds like you're healing very quickly considering you're getting so much bowel action right after the surgery. That has to make you and your docs feel real good about everything.

Since you changed your own bags, you must have taken your first look at your stoma. How did that go? You last mentioned you were pretty nervous about seeing it for the first time.

I really want to thank you for this thread. Being able to follow someone's experience from decision to outcome is invaluable, and I know that this diary you're keeping about getting a voluntary colostomy will benefit many, many people. It's way cool of you to share like this.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

did u have an ng stomach tube after surgery.......just curious.

Surgery was yesterday and everything went well. Other than a headache, I have no pain at all. I'm already producing gas, so it looks like I might get to go home tomorrow! I haven't looked at my stoma yet. I'm pretty nervous about seeing it.
    Maybe this is premature and I certainly don't want to jinx anything, but I can't tell you how happy I am I got this done. Yesterday I emptied my bag by myself twice and it was so easy. In all the research I did on this subject for the last few years people have most often said, "My only regret is that I didn't have it done sooner". That is exactly how I am feeling.

Cowboy, they don't do anything to the anus. Things are re-routed and nothing comes out of there. Good news for those darn roids!

55 yrs... I've registered at the ostomy discussion board. Thanks! Things are pretty gurgly and loud at the moment, but my doctor said that will get better. I can't remember how long it will take. I hope not long because it is really quite loud.

Excellent! This is so good to read. I'm so bloody jealous as I would like to have this done (my bowels rule my life), but I've got no chance. Pah.

But anyway, yeah, fabulous! I hope the gurgling eases soon.

Good deal Shannon. Now you need to contact the ostomy supply companies for samples to see which products work best for you. A lot of them throw in a nice supply kit and scissors.

I had colostomy surgery back in February and have been happy with it ever since. You'll have to experiment to find out which foods give you the most gas and give yourself some time for your body to adjust. I went out to eat about a week after my surgery feeling really well until the waitress came over with our drinks and my body decided to start passing some loud gas for what seemed like a good 5 to 10 embarrassing seconds. That's the only downside.