Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting a colostomy for my 31st SCI anniversary!

Gee, this just crossed my mind last week. I'm 32 years post SCI and my bowel program is everyday. It's usually not a problem but to shit and shower daily I can also flush 2 hours of my life everyday down the toilet along with my stool. I also pay out of pocket for a PCA to come in and give me a hand. Add in the cost of gloves, suppositories, chux, etc. Also, just last week at the last moment I cancelled a trip to Las Vegas because 2 mornings in a row I had absolutely no results with the suppository. I was so concerned I would shit myself at 30,000ft. It resolved ok but got me wondering about the whole bowel routine vs. a colostomy. I really don't know enough about a colostomy at this point to make an informed decision but I'll be very interested in your experience Shannon. Hope all goes well!

Yay, Shannon, you got your dates locked in! That's the next big step toward your new life. I'm rooting for everything to go textbook perfect for you both during and after the surgery.

Have you met with the ostomy nurse yet to talk about stoma placement?
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Good luck Shannon.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Thank you!

Yes, met with the ostomy nurse. She said it should be placed in the same spot that the doctor had said - a little to the left of my belly button.

Check that it isn;t where your waistline of your pants hit. Mine is just below, so it is entirely covered by my pants.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Also, it is critical that the ostomy nurse evaluate your placement with you sitting in your wheelchair...not laying in bed or standing. If the ostomy is in a fold, it will be very difficult to get a correct fit for an appliance.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Also, it is critical that the ostomy nurse evaluate your placement with you sitting in your wheelchair...not laying in bed or standing. If the ostomy is in a fold, it will be very difficult to get a correct fit for an appliance.

(KLD)
    I got a note from a guy who had his ostomy nurse actually draw a line across his middle the day before his surgery after he'd been sitting up in his most worn pair of jeans. She made sure the surgeon wouldn't put it in a bend. He said it made the transition afterwards a lot easier worry wise. Good luck and beware the green jello!
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Good luck and best wishes! I am curious to see the results like if you like it, how it is, etc.

Diary of getting a colostomy

Today = prep
    Wednesday (Tomorrow) = colonoscopy
    Thursday - surgery

10am. Trying to choke down 10 oz of magnesium citrate. I'm less than half way and I feel like I'm going to barf.

No food today at all. I had to go to the grocery store this morning to get cat food. All the (people) food in the store never looked so good. Fresh fruit. A baquette at the checkout stand that was still warm....