Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Getting a colostomy for my 31st SCI anniversary!

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    Thank you for those band aid cover things.
    I noticed in the FAQ on the site, they listed that the will send samples.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph73 View Post
    Did you get approved for the other site yet?
    Steph ..... would you pm me the infor about that support site you mentioned?

thanks, Stephanie (feel like I am talking to myself, LOL)
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Stephanie,
    I sent you the link via pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett View Post
    The higher it is, the looser your stool will be. The colon's job is to absorb water, and the more of it that's bypassed, well... this'll likely be the case.

IMO, you just wear your pants over top of it if you wear them that high.
    Scott I called the doctors office today and they are going to ask the doctor about some of the concerns that you mentioned. Also she said that I will have the opportunity to discuss it with the doctor a few days before I have the surgery.

I am having the type that he also closes off the bottom so I do not have mucus that comes out all of the time. He also said something about moving some blood vessels as well.

Hi everyone. Here I go, I am at Craig Hospital and I am going to start my prep for my two procduries. First a Colonoskpy and then a Colostomy.

Shannon thanks for the encouragment.

Look for my posts about this journey I will try to post from my Blackberry along the way starting tomorrow. I have no spell check so please excuse my spelling and it may be the drugs.

My Colostomy will be on Wednesday the 11th of November. (3 Days) at Swedish Hospital in Englewood Colorado.

Stevie P

Best wishes Stevie!

Are the docs letting you stay awake during the surgery?

Wishing you a textbook perfect surgery and speedy, complication free recovery, Stevie! It's great that you're going to follow in Shannon's footsteps and journal your experience -- as I told Shannon, I'm certain it will help lots of people considering/getting the procedure.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Good luck Stevie P.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Here is the link to my post http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...19429&posted=1
    Enjoy my journey.

Stevie P

Wow am I a happy camper that I got this colostomy. Last night I ate a whole grapefruit before going to bed, it was delicious. I woke up about 4 this morning to find my bag full. luckily I had an extra bag that I keep next to my bed "Just in Case" along with various other supplies. Then I realized that the bag had some air in it as well. What I did not realize was that the grapefruit went right through me in a matter of hours and the filter in the bag must have gotten clogged so the gas could not escape so I decided to burp the bag. It burped alright (not to much of a mess) a few tissues took care of it. What is crazy is that I have had to change the bag three times already. If I had not had this colostomy I would have woken up to a bed full of poop and laying in it as well not to mention that I would have had two accidents in my wheelchair, what a mess it would have been, not to mention what it would have done to my mind with fear of going out.

Stevie P

Wink Irrigation works great!

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I see. My stool is like paste too. Is that a bad thing or just an annoyance because you have to change the bag so often?

I hope the irrigation works well for you! Please let us know how it goes.

(Labs truly are the best! )
    Hi Shannon
    I am extremely happy with how the irrigation is going. I don't think the consistency is a problem. I never have stool in my pouch because I irrigate every other day. That's the beauty of irrigating. I can go out and about worry free. I find it's easy and way less messy and time consuming than my old bowel program, plus way easier on the old butt. I change the wafer every three days just to make sure I don't have any blowouts (not that I would anyway because I don't have stool in the pouch). I never have any odor or mess between irrigating. It's the best decision I've made since my injury. The only side effect is sometimes I pee more because my bowel absorbs some of the extra water. My remedy for that is putting my legs up higher than my heart before I go to bed so that I pee it all out before bedtime. I have a nice big bolster for that purpose.