Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting a colostomy for my 31st SCI anniversary!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Getting a colostomy for my 31st SCI anniversary!

Or, at least I hope I am.

I've been seriously thinking about getting a colostomy for the past 2+ years. I recently decided that I definitely want to have it done. I have an appt with a surgeon on August 11th.

For those of you who have one, how long is the recovery? It's my understanding that I'll be in the hospital for only a day or two. I'm wondering how long it will be until I feel like my myself after the surgery. I'm guessing it won't be long, but that's only a guess.

Any tips or advice? I've read up about it quite a bit, so I feel pretty comfortable with the whole thing. I still welcome your thoughts.

My #1 worry is that insurance will see it as an elective and refuse to cover it.

(31 years of SCI as of August 19th)

You'll love it Shannon. I had mine 4 years ago in July, 33 years and 1 month post. Wish I'd done it YEARS ago!

I went in on Friday and left Monday midday. Mine was done laproscopicly (sp) and I had no problems at all, other than finally settling on the bag system I wanted to use.

Good luck, you'll love the freedom.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Mine took longer to recover but I had colon cancer(05) 1 week , but after 2 weeks I told Dr. it's staying. Freedom!!

Good luck Shannon. I too have been contemplating getting one after 23 years. I'm curious though. I have a baclofen pump implanted in my left abdomen. I believe this is the area of the body where the descending colon is. Aren't colostomies done using the descending colon? If so, I suppose I could have surgery to move my pump to my right abdomen, then have the colostomy. Or maybe they could leave the pump where it is...I know, I know, I haven't consulted with any doctors yet to get answers. But I think that time is coming...

Just musing - sorry for stealing your thread Shannon. I wish you well, keep us updated.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Good luck Shannon. I would hope that your doc can provide sufficient reasons to your insurance co. If you can, hook up with an ostomy nurse before the surgery. S/he can be your best support and jump start your adjustment.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

good luck shan, i should seriously start looking into this too.

The sentiments expressed here are similar to others that I have heard. One big piece of advice is to hook up with the ostomy nurse prior to surgery. He/she can help you decide where the best placement of the stoma will be. That will be important so that you can be independent in managing it. Also important depending on the type of clothes that you wear.

Ask lots of questions and good luck!

CKF

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    The sentiments expressed here are similar to others that I have heard. One big piece of advice is to hook up with the ostomy nurse prior to surgery. He/she can help you decide where the best placement of the stoma will be. That will be important so that you can be independent in managing it. Also important depending on the type of clothes that you wear.

Ask lots of questions and good luck!

CKF
    Exactly CKF. I met with the nurse prior to surgery. What type of pants do you wear? Where does your belt hit? If you have a quad belly with creases here or there, you need to plan your placement even more carefully.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Thanks everyone. Now that I've made up my mind about it, I'm hoping to get the procedure done asap.

All the best Shannon ...... Bill had an emergency ileosotmy done during a belly surgery gone bad and he never had it reversed .. he feels the same way as everyone else here has commented .... definitely more freedom !! Speedy healing .....

Obie
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry