Thread: neck injury

neck injury

hi i was wondering if anyone could explain what my mri results mean. impressions: circumferential annular buldging of the c5/c6 and c6/c7 disc. localized areas of left ventrolateral broad based protrusion of the c6/c7 disc deforming the thecal sac. there is no evidence of significant spinal or foraminal stenosis or myslomalacia. my doctor did not seem concerned. i do not have any pain but it seems like this might be serious. i also have ddd of c2/c3,c3/c4. is buldging the same as herinated? is deforming and nearly touching spinal cord a concern? any help in understanding and being able to work on preventing further injury would be helpful. i have been referred to physical therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by cfscott View Post
    hi i was wondering if anyone could explain what my mri results mean. impressions: circumferential annular buldging of the c5/c6 and c6/c7 disc. localized areas of left ventrolateral broad based protrusion of the c6/c7 disc deforming the thecal sac. there is no evidence of significant spinal or foraminal stenosis or myslomalacia. my doctor did not seem concerned. i do not have any pain but it seems like this might be serious. i also have ddd of c2/c3,c3/c4. is buldging the same as herinated? is deforming and nearly touching spinal cord a concern? any help in understanding and being able to work on preventing further injury would be helpful. i have been referred to physical therapy.
    I really hate all these acronyms. They should require neuroradiologists to stop using them and use more defined and descriptive terms.

I suppose that "ddd" means degenerative disc disease. Usually, this means that the radiologist sees change in the discs that suggest that they are degenerating. Often, the discs looks as if they have less signal, suggesting that they have less water (sometimes the term desiccated is used) which results in less MRI signal.

"Bulging" means exactly what the word means in normal English, i.e the disc is bulging into the spinal canal. The word is similar to herniated but has better implications.

Herniated means that part of the disc has been squeezed into the spinal canal.

Deformed means that it is not normal form.

Myelomalacia means "bad white matter". The fact that you don't have it means that your spinal cord looks pretty good.

No spinal or foraminal stenosis means that you don't have narrowing of the spinal canal or of any of the opening in the spinal column through which spinal roots exit.

Nearly touching the spinal cord means exactly what it says. Normally, the spinal cord is surrounded by cerebrospinal fluid. Nothing should be touching it from the side. The fact that something is nearly touching it means that nothing is touching it.

The implications of these MRI findings depends on your age and symptoms. The MRI suggests that there is nothing pressing on your spinal cord or roots. Since you have had an MRI, you probably have some symptoms. The MRI suggests that those symptoms are not from something operable pressing on your spinal cord or spinal roots. You have an aging spine.

If I were your doctor, I would prescribe physical therapy.

Wise.