Thread: New T6\T7 incomplete

New T6\T7 incomplete

Introducing myself on this very informative site. I was injured in a motorcycle accident just shy of three months. I'm from the cape in MA. and was med flighted to Boston Medical Center (BMC) where i underwent all the lovely surgeries and spinal fusion. I was there for about 10 days or so and then went to The Sheperd Center in Atlanta, GA. for my rehab. I did very well there transitiong to the wheel chair and became comfortable at shepered. I spent about 2 months there with no signs of movement returning until my last day there my right big toe I was able to move.
    I have had feeling all along but just not normal. My legs and everything below my injury always feel like they are cold or asleep with the tingles. Also I have heard that people sometimes tend to have the feeling that they have a band around there wasit? I always feel like I have a binder on. The thing they make you were for blood pressure. Does this feeling go away? I know its so hard to look at other people because everyones injury is so different and the recovery process is aswell, but its still hard not to comapre.
    Now I'm awaiting to start my therapy back in NC where I moved to my sisters new house and will be doing therapy at Wake Med. Is anyone familar with Wake Med? Anyways I'll stop rambling but would love to hear some thoughts other people have. Thanks

Welcome, sorry you need to be here. There's a bunch of us riders here, I'm a T10 inc ~6yrs post-sci, got nailed sittin' at a redlight.

Temperature problems are very common, especially at first. hopefully yours will settle down. The "tingling" is also common, usually caused by neuropathic pain/issues. Also hopefully, yours will stay at a tingle or go down, sometimes it gets worse though. Mine have kinda gone thru the roof lately.

If your binder feeling is around your break line, that will diminish. My break line was *very* sensitive for 6-8 months, couldn't have anything touching it.

At 3 months, your body is still in spinal shock. Be prepared for changes, both good and possibly bad, for the next year or so as it settles into the new routine.

Is home going ok? The transition to a home setting is also pretty traumatic. As you said, you got comfortable at rehab, out in the real world is different. Better, once you get used to it, but it is a change. Start driving as soon as you can, nothing like that to get your independence back.

Good luck man, sound like you are well on your way.

p.s. fill out your profile, makes people more comfortable posting to you.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Hi Warchi81! My name is Megan and I am a T-7 complete 18 months post. I went to Carolinas Rehab which is in Charlotte ,NC. Oh you are going to be living in Raleigh! Not too far away from me If you have any questions about anything let me know, I would more than happy to help. In the meantime if you want to watch some transfer videos go here...http://morethanwheelies.blogspot.com
    T-7 Complete
    "If you don't like something, change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it."

i was injured in a motorcycle accident

i am a t4 complete. i had a helmet on full riding attire. helmet saves your brain, not your spine. i am post injury 2 yrs now. good luck in rehab, keep your chin up.its all new take one day at a time good luck and god bless

Thank you for all of the positive feedback. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this place? http://www.centerimt.com/home.asp. seenkid101n your in ashville is this somehting you are familar with. Looks like a different approach to the regular therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by warchi81 View Post
    Thank you for all of the positive feedback. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this place? http://www.centerimt.com/home.asp. seenkid101n your in ashville is this somehting you are familar with. Looks like a different approach to the regular therapy.
    Warchi81, I have not been here. Ironically a lady that works out at my gym works there. She has mentioned several times that people with SCI are now walking. Now I don't necessarily know what the conditions are or how severe the SCI was when they went in. Calling or setting up and appointment won't hurt. Good Luck!
    T-7 Complete
    "If you don't like something, change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it."

Hey bud - welcome to the club nobody wants to join!

I'm an old timer by comparison ... this is my 11th year as a T12. Like you, my rehab was short. I set a goal of starting college on-time with my class, so I had no choice haha. Was a tough year: getting hurt, getting dumped, graduating from HS, rehab, starting school far away from home, all that. But I don't regret a thing. It made me realize that SCI doesn't have to be a permanent game-changer. It sucks, but in achieving my goals, it was just a speedbump. These days, I ski, surf, bike, swim, lift, travel all over ... and work crazy hours to pay for it all haha.

Sounds like you're doing awesome and seeing progress. I can't say it enough: push yourself. Work out like its a job. It will pay off! Go raise hell just like always!

Carecure must be the world's richest source of first-hand SCI info. The people on here have seen it ALL. Use it. You don't wana learn the hard way like most of us did! Believe me.

Helping people with this stuff makes me feel like all my effort wasn't just a waste. If you have questions, wanna chat - feel free to give me a shout. I'm kevinpatick79 on yahoo IM and AIM.

I live in Cary, NC and rehabbed at WakeMed.
    Daniel

Welcome to Care Cure, it's a wonderful place to get information.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Sounds like you are doing well. I grew up in New England and miss it terribly.

My teenage son was injured 2.5 years ago -- he's an L1. He had the same problem with his legs feeling cold and the tingling. Both symptoms improved greatly during the first year. Now, if his leg gets cold we consider it a sign that something is wrong -- usually means he's getting a cold or something.

Good luck with rehab. I can't say enough about how much exercise helped my son. Beyond being great for his body and regaining strength, it really helped him mentally.

Good luck and take care.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt