Thread: How do you know if you have a dislocated hip?

How do you know if you have a dislocated hip?

My hip has been sore (hoping its just that), can't tell if it's from walking too much. How do I make sure? what do I look for? Would I be able to walk on it?

thanks in advance.

I have had a hip dislocation for almost 20 years now. I was told that as I long as I dont walk or put pressure on it, it can be left alone, but surgery to fix it is always an option. Disolocations, depending on how severe they are, can affect walking. Sometimes they cause pain, sometimes not. The only way to know for sure is a simple xray of the hip. Hope this helps.

you wouldn't be able to walk and it would be very painful. You wouldn't be able to stand on it or anything...

Quote Originally Posted by arod636 View Post
    you wouldn't be able to walk and it would be very painful. You wouldn't be able to stand on it or anything...
    that's what I thought, but werent you walking a bit on it?

It could be soreness. My homegirl checked and said there was no discoloration, so I dont know. Im all paranoid, cause I feel pain there and dont know if its sore or dislocated as that area is on my bad leg and that leg has faint feeling and more spasticity /spasms than my good leg, so its hard to tell.

A dislocated hip would indeed be very painful.. A hip that is dislocated and remaining out of place could be determined by the length of both legs. The dislocated one probably would be shorter. More than likely, bruising, possibly impaired circulation to the effected leg could also be present.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

Hmm make a appointment with your Dr. there are these wonderful things called X-Rays..

Quote Originally Posted by bigtop1 View Post
    A dislocated hip would indeed be very painful.. A hip that is dislocated and remaining out of place could be determined by the length of both legs. The dislocated one probably would be shorter. .
    Good info. Doesn't seem to be shorter, and pain is faint. I'm going to stretch it out for a few days and see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Hmm make a appointment with your Dr. there are these wonderful things called X-Rays..
    Is this an offer to cover my deductible?

WIth a dislocation you would definitely see a difference in leg length and you would havedifficulty in walking. Also, the pain would continue and get worse, not better. It sounds like you did something, but it is getting better. If you should get more pain or have greater difficulty in walking, go see your doctor.

CKF